Do I have DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62:

This evening is the first time since Friday afternoon that I checked this forum and I want to reply to comments from “Christi” and others.

However, before I start I will state that I am not an instructor, but a DM

I am fully aware of the defined depths for OW and AOW dives. However, I do not feel that a responsible instructor should take a class of OW students down to a depth of 60’ during the initial 4 OW checkout dives. Too many things can go wrong with an OW class, including tendencies to panic and inability to control buoyancy. There are fewer things that can happen if an individual ascends uncontrollably from a depth of 25-35’ than 60’ (not saying nothing can go wrong at 30&#8217:wink:.

PADI defines a dive as a minimum of 20 minutes at a minimum depth of 20 feet. Since the OW course is a certification to 60’, an OW dive can be a 20 minute dive between 20’-60’ deep. However, that does not mean an instructor must take the class to 60’. In fact, I do not know of an instructor who will take their OW class to 55’. As I stated in my original message, most instructors I have seen will settle at a depth of approximately 25’ to complete the dives targeted skills, followed by a tour. Depending on the dive site, the tour may be to a depth of 40’-45’ feet but not into the 50’ range.

In somewhat of a similar circumstance, my son will begin driver’s education this summer. I do not expect the driving instructor will take him out on a freeway at 60 mph during the first few times behind the wheel even though 60mph is the legal speed limit. The instructor will have him drive in a safer location until he feels my son has become accustomed to the feel of driving a car. It is the same way with diving; an instructor should not push the limits until the students have become accustomed to diving and this is done through experience at more moderate depths.

Now of course there may be exceptions to pushing a to 60’ on the 3rd or 4th dive, such as private lessons where the instructor can give his/her attention to that one student.

I hope this clarifies my position on this matter.

Jim

I don't agree in your caution here - If the students aren't prepared for 60' dives as the last dives of the open water certification, then they shouldn't dive to 60' once they're certified either - As you know, you are certified to dive to similar depths in similar conditions as your training.

Also, 18 meters is not considered a deep dive - 18.5 is technically considered deep - But that's kind of accademic. Speak to most certified divers (Who's been diving for a few years) and they'd say 25 - 30 metres is relatively deep, whilst 40 metres is certainly deep.
18 metres is relatively shallow.

Now, during open water training, you spend between 20 and 45 minutes in the water, around this depth. Your NDL is substantially longer than that for such a shallow dive, so DCS is not much of a worry. (If the ascent gets a bit fast, it's not the end of the world, because you've got a good safety margin. It isn't good of course...).

Air consumption is an issue, but it will be an issue once the divers are let loose anyway - Better do the first dives to depth with professionals, don't you think?

We got to assume that the instructor uses good judgement, and that it's easy enough to remain in control of the group at the depth and divesite chosen. I think if those objectives have been met, then the depth is within standards, and is appropriate for the course and qualification taught.

Now there are obviously different grades of instructors as well - If the instructor has never been deeper than 30, then I can quite see why he'd consider 18 meters deep. Whilst instructors who routinely dive to 50 - 60 meters in their own time, would consider it a doddle. If you had asked me when I was a young open water student, I'd rather dive to 18 with an experienced instructor with loads of deep dives under his belt, than dive to 5 meters with an instructor who'd never been deeper than 19m.

(Coz you are not actually required to have done ANY dives deeper than 18.5 meters to become an instructor - The only deep dive required is on the advanced course - And I believe it must be deeper than 18 meters - Doesn't say HOW much deeper.)

Webbah,

Welcome to Scuba. I believe most of the DCS related comments have been on track. I will also say that you don't need to get another hobby.

Let me be honest for a moment. When my wife and I were certified about 4 years ago I was out of shape and very chubby. We had both always wanted to dive and were finally doing it. We went to The Keys and were certified. The days were HOT, the Gear was HEAVY, and so was I. By the end of my course I felt like I was going to die! Everything hurt, I was dehydrated, and my body had experienced things it had never experienced before. I was tired for days and even considered DCS. I believe you may have gone through a somewhat similiar experience. Honestly looking back on who I was as a diver, I might now suggest to myself to get another hobby. I was horrible. Flailing, couldn't clear my mask, and I sucked through air. Well, we didn't quit and we are still diving and we LOVE IT! Diving has changed my life. It kicked me in the butt and inspired me to change myself.

You don't have to be in perfect shape or look great to be a diver but it does help to be in good enough shape to lift literally hundreds of pounds in gear all over the place and kick out of a current if your life depends on it. I (we) made the realization that I loved diving enough to lose 30 pounds to continue to enjoy it at the level I wanted and the way I wanted to. I'm still a little chubby and I'm no muscle boy but my enjoyment level and dive count has increased.

I do dive with friends who are alot heavier than I ever was and they are much better divers than I and can dive all day with the best of them. Size is an individual thing. I am mostly speaking to cardio health. A small improvement will go a long way in your enjoyment of this sport. Anyway, don't quit. It does get easier with experience and you will learn what your limits are and that helps too. I do also suggest taking AOW and Rescue Diver courses. Congrats and enjoy!:D

webbah:
If this was directed towards me - thanks for your heartfelt encouragement.

Webbah,
If you like diving, just keep at it....You've been checked out, so the next assumption is that you just have lots of fatigue (or maybe the symptoms really are the flu?)...5 dives in a weekend is alot if you're not used to it. Work on getting into shape, if that's what you need, and do easy dives, building up to harder dives until you adjust to it. Also, drink lots of water....diving dehydrates you. Keep it up, and good luck.

Like Hammerhead45 says you know when you are bent. I was bent in the elbow and couldn't even bend my arm for the severe pain. I have seen people with tears in there eyes from the pain. You did the right thing to have it checked out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom