Do I have DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62:
Webbah

My first question is what has the instructor thinking taking an OW class to 60' in a check out dive????!!!!! I do not know which agency the instructor is with, but none of the agency's give an ok to hit 60' feet for a begining class. In fact, 60'-65' is considered a "deep dive" and should not be done until a diver is more experience. Most classes and at least PADI aim at a dept of 25-35' with most approx 25' for OW class dives.
It never ceases to amaze me how many "professionals" don't know the basic standards.

Your profile claims that you are a DM...depth limits ARE covered in the DM class.

ejg62:
Webbah

My first question is what has the instructor thinking taking an OW class to 60' in a check out dive????!!!!! I do not know which agency the instructor is with, but none of the agency's give an ok to hit 60' feet for a begining class. In fact, 60'-65' is considered a "deep dive" and should not be done until a diver is more experience. Most classes and at least PADI aim at a dept of 25-35' with most approx 25' for OW class dives.

Any ways, you stated you are not in great shape, I also don't know your age, but the aches and pains could be a result of doing more physical activity than you are accustomed too - swimming, kicking, and walking to/from the beach with all your gear on. I am not sure if the discomfort you feel are in the joints or in the muscles that have not been worked.

You did do the right thing by seeking medical assistance and it should be monitored. Pulled muscles should begin to subside after 3-4 days. If it does not then see the doctor again.

As for the rash and ear infection that can happen from bacteria if you dive from shore as a result of run-off after a recent rain/storm.

Let us know how you are feeling in a couple of days.

Jim

While I personally don't feel that it's appropriate to take open water students to 60' during training, here is some text directly out of the SSI Training Standards manual:

"All four open water scuba training dives must be conducted at depths between 15 and 60 feet (5 and 18 meters). During the first open water scuba dive, it is recommended not to exceed 40 feet (12 meters). The maximum depth for 10 and 11 year old during open water scuba training is 40 feet (12 meters)."

That blurb is in the SSI Training Standards manual in the "Open Water Diver Course Standards - Including Provisions for Junior Open Water Diver" section on article 7.

webbah:
Yeah - I think I'm just being a little extra cautious. I think I'll be fine.

Regarding the 60' factor - we went 60' on the first dive and 58' on the second - standard for PADI is what I was told.

Your instructor sounds a little careless. You should be able to get a copy of the PADI training standards from PADI and read them for yourself. The SSI Training Standards are downloadable directly from their website in PDF format. SSI and PADI standards are very similar because they follow the minimum standards set by the Recreational Scuba Training Council - http://www.wrstc.com/

find another hobbie...

webbah:
Regarding the 60' factor - we went 60' on the first dive and 58' on the second - standard for PADI is what I was told.

I didn't see this before...per PADI standards, you shouldn't have exceeded 40' on dive 1 or 2...

You did the right thing by getting checked. I suspect as others have suggested that your body is just punishing you for trying something new :) If your symptoms do not subside on their own and/or if they get worse, then I would get checked again...by a hyperbaric facility.

tiburon72157:
find another hobbie...

If this was directed towards me - thanks for your heartfelt encouragement.

Christi:
I didn't see this before...per PADI standards, you shouldn't have exceeded 40' on dive 1 or 2...

You did the right thing by getting checked. I suspect as others have suggested that your body is just punishing you for trying something new :) If your symptoms do not subside on their own and/or if they get worse, then I would get checked again...by a hyperbaric facility.

What I meant by that was it was dive #2 on day 2 - so it was really dives 3 and 4. We didn't go below 35' on our first two OW checkout dives. I do not think that our instructor was being careless at all. How can you expect someone to feel somewhat comfortable being certified to dive to a certain depth (60'), if they've never gotten down that far? Seems like common sense to me - certified to go to 60' - then let's take you to 60'.

Naui you can go 60 on any of the 5 dives required for Scuba Diver, unless it is dive 3 in one day then 40 fett on the third dive

Chris
NAUI CD 17055

PADI is 40 first two dives, 60 second 2 dives

Chris

PADI MSDT 157937

Christi:
It never ceases to amaze me how many "professionals" don't know the basic standards.

Your profile claims that you are a DM...depth limits ARE covered in the DM class.

This evening is the first time since Friday afternoon that I checked this forum and I want to reply to comments from “Christi” and others.

However, before I start I will state that I am not an instructor, but a DM

I am fully aware of the defined depths for OW and AOW dives. However, I do not feel that a responsible instructor should take a class of OW students down to a depth of 60’ during the initial 4 OW checkout dives. Too many things can go wrong with an OW class, including tendencies to panic and inability to control buoyancy. There are fewer things that can happen if an individual ascends uncontrollably from a depth of 25-35’ than 60’ (not saying nothing can go wrong at 30’).

PADI defines a dive as a minimum of 20 minutes at a minimum depth of 20 feet. Since the OW course is a certification to 60’, an OW dive can be a 20 minute dive between 20’-60’ deep. However, that does not mean an instructor must take the class to 60’. In fact, I do not know of an instructor who will take their OW class to 55’. As I stated in my original message, most instructors I have seen will settle at a depth of approximately 25’ to complete the dives targeted skills, followed by a tour. Depending on the dive site, the tour may be to a depth of 40’-45’ feet but not into the 50’ range.

In somewhat of a similar circumstance, my son will begin driver’s education this summer. I do not expect the driving instructor will take him out on a freeway at 60 mph during the first few times behind the wheel even though 60mph is the legal speed limit. The instructor will have him drive in a safer location until he feels my son has become accustomed to the feel of driving a car. It is the same way with diving; an instructor should not push the limits until the students have become accustomed to diving and this is done through experience at more moderate depths.

Now of course there may be exceptions to pushing a to 60’ on the 3rd or 4th dive, such as private lessons where the instructor can give his/her attention to that one student.

I hope this clarifies my position on this matter.

Jim

ejg62:
I do not expect the driving instructor will take him out on a freeway at 60 mph during the first few times behind the wheel even though 60mph is the legal speed limit. The instructor will have him drive in a safer location until he feels my son has become accustomed to the feel of driving a car. It is the same way with diving; an instructor should not push the limits until the students have become accustomed to diving and this is done through experience at more moderate depths.
And, IMO, the instructor must find out something about each student's ability, mental attitude, and general demeanor in a safe environment. A freakout at 60mph on a freeway is definitely worse than at 40 mph on an empty road or parking lot. In the first few lessons you do a lot of evaluating the students themselves, no matter what you are teaching.

If you have a one-on-one situation with a good student that you know will follow instructions and not panic, then you can confidently push the limits a bit if the circumstances allow/require. That may have been the circumstances in this instance.

Willie

Back
Top Bottom