Do I have DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webbah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a little worried as I've had some symptoms of DCS after my OW checkout dives this past weekend. Granted - we weren't "deep" and only at 60' for maybe 5 minutes before ascending to about 20-25' to do some skills. I did have a couple of moderately uncontrolled ascents due to being overweighted and kind of corked to the top.

I ended up calling DAN and reporting my symptoms and they suggested going to the local chamber to get checked out. I'm not the most physically fit person in the world so my dive profiles may not mean much?

Well - they checked me out and didn't feel it was necessary to "dive" me in the chamber. I guess I'm just wondering about the severity of the symptoms. When people talk of joint pain - is it moderate or excruciating pain? Mine is moderate. I still feel fatigued after 5 days but not so much that I'm not here at work. My ears are all plugged up but I think I have an ear infection. I'm also a little itchy in a couple of areas. I just don't feel "right".

But I think I'm being a big hypocondriact (sp?) about it all. Perhaps I just have a touch of the flu. If I had these same symptoms without having dove - I wouldn't think twice about it.

If I do have slight case of DCS - will it just go away without treatment or can it cause further, permanent problems? I'm hoping that the decision to not dive me at the chamber was a correct one............

Webbah,

Well, you did absolutely the right thing! One of the most common signs in DCS cases is "Diver Denial". You went to the right people, and were checked out. Well done.

Now, I would feel comforted that they know you are not suffering from DCS. The remaining symptoms could well be from lots of physical activity without really being in shape for it (come on, now, we almost all earn out living sitting, and need more exercise:D ), or possibly the flu. I would say not to worry.

P.S.---Minor "niggles" (achy joints, itching, etc.) can be sypmtoms of DCS, but I would be guided by the professionals here. As a Diver Medic Technician, I would be satisfied with their evaluation.

One of the problems with being a new diver is that you aren't in any way used to what diving does to you. And so many of the described symptoms of DCS are so vague and so nonspecific that it's easy to get worried. I can remember driving home from some dives in the beginning with pretty significant pain in my neck and shoulders and getting a little worried about it . . . but in fact, it was due to carrying the weight around before and after the dive.

The best thing to do when you are really concerned is get checked out by a physician who is experienced in hyperbaric medicine, and you did that. And our folks at VM are good docs and get a fair amount of experience in seeing diving incidents. If they thought you were okay, you probably were. (In addition, most checkout dives don't keep you deep enough for long enough to load much nitrogen, anyway -- they're designed that way.)

Being a physician, I am not ever going to tell anybody that the doctor they saw couldn't have made a mistake. But you can make some reasonable assumptions -- VM doesn't hire or keep idiots, and their chamber docs do see divers frequently and therefore have appropriate experience. If they thought you were okay, it would be good enough for me.

Remember also that diving is using your body in ways you aren't accustomed to -- carrying the gear around, walking in it, and swimming and kicking in ways that you don't normally do. So you can get achy and sore just from the process itself.

-- nevermind. already covered.

This is exactly why I've started "training" for a trip thats not till June. Got to get outta winter shape and into dive cardio shape.

Diving can kick your butt a bit. Even if you're not bent, it puts your body through a lot and dehydrates. Gotta be in some kinda strength (or it at least helps) and drink lots of hydrating liquids (not all belikins).

Webbah

My first question is what has the instructor thinking taking an OW class to 60' in a check out dive????!!!!! I do not know which agency the instructor is with, but none of the agency's give an ok to hit 60' feet for a begining class. In fact, 60'-65' is considered a "deep dive" and should not be done until a diver is more experience. Most classes and at least PADI aim at a dept of 25-35' with most approx 25' for OW class dives.

Any ways, you stated you are not in great shape, I also don't know your age, but the aches and pains could be a result of doing more physical activity than you are accustomed too - swimming, kicking, and walking to/from the beach with all your gear on. I am not sure if the discomfort you feel are in the joints or in the muscles that have not been worked.

You did do the right thing by seeking medical assistance and it should be monitored. Pulled muscles should begin to subside after 3-4 days. If it does not then see the doctor again.

As for the rash and ear infection that can happen from bacteria if you dive from shore as a result of run-off after a recent rain/storm.

Let us know how you are feeling in a couple of days.

Jim

ejg62,

I think your 3rd and 4th dives are down to 60'. At least they were when I certified last October.

Per PADI standards... OW dives 1 and 2 are to a maximum of 40' with 3 and 4 to a maximum of 60'. 60' is the recommended max for BOW divers, but one is allowed to dive all the way to 60' without the scuba police coming after you.

R

We hit 60 feet on my 4th checkout dive. In fact, we hit 61, but the instructor was SURE his computer was dangling below him (which it probably was). Mine we couldn't download, so we never knew for sure . . .

Yeah - I think I'm just being a little extra cautious. I think I'll be fine.

Regarding the 60' factor - we went 60' on the first dive and 58' on the second - standard for PADI is what I was told.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom