do i have DCS or Skin Bends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the manifestations of DCS is bubbling in the joints, causing severe pain and inability to move those joints.. resulting in someone bent over and partly immobile. I guess the name stuck.

Hello Readers:

It is always best to call DAN and then have a local physician personally examine and assess your problem.

Telemedicine is one thing for astronauts on the way to Mars, but it is not really a good system for Earthlings.

Dr Deco :doctor:

HAiko:
Why do they call DCS "the bends"?

Good question and one I actually know the answer too. Although I was told this by an instructor so it might be his opinion.

Back in the days of the dive bells the workers would get DCS over and over, never really knowing the cause or cure. After so many hits they started slumping over at the waist in such a way that it looked like they were always "bending" over. Almost like someone with sever lower back pain. The assumption was all the nerve and bone damage was actually causing back pain. Eventually they came to call the condition the "Bends" due to the slumped apearence.

There was also something in the explaination to do with womens clothing and corsetts but that wasn't info I retained.

Hope this helps and if there is a better explaination I would love to hear it.

Scooter

BTW, I have seen reference to a thread called "How to get DCS" by Dr Deco but I can't find it and the search will not recognise all the 3 letter words. Any ideas where the thread or article exists?

Thanks in advance!

HAiko:
Why do they call DCS "the bends"?

The name "The Bends" Comes from when the French were working underwater in Cassions (building a bridge, if I remember correctly) (before SCUBA) because in a cassion, they were still subjected to the same pressure as if it were a dive, and knew nothing about decompression, so they would come out of the Cassion bent over in pain, thus the term "Bends". This was what prompted Haldane to begin work on his theories on nitrogen loading and decompression.

Aquanaut4ata:
The name "The Bends" Comes from when the French were working underwater in Cassions (building a bridge, if I remember correctly) (before SCUBA) because in a cassion, they were still subjected to the same pressure as if it were a dive, and knew nothing about decompression, so they would come out of the Cassion bent over in pain, thus the term "Bends". This was what prompted Haldane to begin work on his theories on nitrogen loading and decompression.

Ding ding ding! Correct answer! These were the first known cases of the bends. It was originally called cassions disease.

dbg40:
Ding ding ding! Correct answer! These were the first known cases of the bends. It was originally called cassions disease.

OK, so I got the concept correct, I do remember the term "Cassion".

I guess next time I will google before I answer :wink:

Hello readers:

Skin Bends

It is a little late to reply to the post now, but the time course for this skin problem does not correspond to the skin reddening referred to a “skin bends” [cutis Marmorata]. This is apparently what the physician at the chamber said.

This problem appears shortly after leaving the water and is often indistinguishable from an allergic reaction to something in the water. It remits on its own in a few hours if it is not an allergy. True Cutis Marmorata is indicative of a potential DCS issue.

“The Bends”

The term arose during construction work on bridges and tunnels. The term “caisson” is French for tank and refers to the metal tanks in which were housed the pressure chamber. The bottom was open to allow workers to dig.

“Bends” refers to the Grecian Bend and was a form of walking in a stooped posture while wearing a bustle. It was considered stylish – although I cannot see why. Seeking positional relief, the works limped along and were teased about doing "the bend."

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology is September 10 – 11, 2005 :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

You know, you gotta figure a lot of people were seriously injured to provide us with the modern dive tables...

Just another one of those things to be thankful for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom