do i have DCS or Skin Bends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txtroop

New
Reaction score
i need help. i think i might have dcs or skin bends. here is the info. i dove in belize on 4/14/05.
dive profile: 25 min. @ 85 ft., 25 min @ 65 ft w/ saftey stop, 1.5 hrs rest, 30 min. @ 65 ft., 15 min. @ 40 ft. w/ saftey stop.
after the dive i felt fine infact, 2.5 hrs. after the dive i worked out at the gym. i also had some alcholic drinks later that night. however i did notice a red mark on the small of my back over the spinal cord. mark was about 1.5 in. wide and 5 in. long.
on 4/15/05 i noticed the red mark on my back had gotten darker and now looked like a bruise but did not hurt like one. i had gotten a itchy rash on upper arms, shoulders, chest, and back.
on 4/16/05 the rash appeared to be getting better but still itched, started getting more dark marks like the one on my back, on shoulders, upper arms, and wrists. i also started getting dark freckle like markes on my forearms, wrists, stomach.
today i still have all the dark marks and spots, rash has gotten better but uppararms still itch, i have a sore throut, fell weak and fatigue, and my body aces.
i have pictures of marks if that helps any.
and advice or infor would be helpful
thank you.

Personally I'd call DAN or book an appointment with my MD before I'd ask for help here.

Sean P

sprange:
Personally I'd call DAN or book an appointment with my MD before I'd ask for help here.

Sean P

I agree, definitely call DAN or a diving physician, but it sure sounds like skin bends to me. Your symptoms sound almost the same as a friend of mine who was bent (skin bends) a few years ago. Of course, it could also be an allergic reaction.....CALL A DOCTOR OR DAN!

Al.

I am by no means an expert but I strongly agree with the other posts. Do something now! better safe then sorry.

Call DAN NOW! Even if you don't have the insurance, they will help.
800-446-2671

It won't hurt to call DAN, Let us know what they say about it.
IMO because it been longer than 48 hours they is not much they or anybody can do.

good news folks, its not what i thought it was.
i called DAN and they advised me to contact my local hospital w/ a hyperbaric chamber which i did. the doc at the hospital said that it was not DCS and even if it was i was too late for recompression. what the rash and dark marks are i dont know yet but i see a skin doc on wed.
my next investment foresure is a new computer and DAN insurance. (which i should've all ready had)
thank you all for the help.

txtroop:
my next investment foresure is a new computer and DAN insurance. (which i should've all ready had)
That sounds like a great plan. Glad to hear they don't think it is DCS, but I hope the rash/dark marks go away soon for you,

Matt

If you have to ask, get on the phone with DAN and/or get yourself to a hospital. Don't wait for people on ScubaBoard to tell you what to do.

I thought a person could go into the chamber well after 48 hours? At least that was my impression.

DAN insurance is the best investment a diver can make. It's a number I have memorized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom