Do I have a sign on my head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, this is the third time in a month that this has happend to me...

I go into a store wanting to buy/order something (different store each time and I am dressed casually). I am looking at the items and the sales clerk tells me it is expensive, mind you she/he doesn't tell me the price - just that it is expensive.

I look at something else, again the sales person says it's too expensive.

HELLO??? Can I be the judge of that? Does he/she know how much I have or what I am willing to spend? Not the right way to make a sale...

Venting over, thank you for listening.....

Some people make wrong assumptions about people all the time, it is rude.
If you were to buy it, it's your turn to be condescending, like "can you wrap that up for me?" with a big smile.
It's the ones that go around talking loudly and acting like they ARE rich that bugs me.

Mine just says "redneck" or "psychologist" depending on where I'm at... I like when it says "Buy me a beer" :D

I can't see, your profile pic is a bit unclear???

I am a totally casual person and this has happened to me, too. I finally got fed up one day and asked to speak to the manager. I explained how rude, condescending and presumptuous that approach is, how I was offended by the sale clerk's attitude and how I would now be crossing the street to a direct competitor in hopes of better treatment. I was calm, polite and clear.

The manager was aghast (an act, perhaps) that her employee had done that and assured me that the issue would be addressed. She thanked me for bringing it to her attention. Was it dealt with? I don't know, but the last time I went back the sales people were very friendly and nothing untoward happened.

Moral: probably none, but if you don't say something the people in charge might not realize it is happening and the problem can't be fixed.

We live in the real world, people judge you by appearance............

ShakaZulu:
We live in the real world, people judge you by appearance............

This is too true, unfortunately.

But in a shop, unless maybe you are dirty and fetid, it is not OK for employees to actually voice things like that :) After I leave they can talk about me all they want :wink:

justleesa:
Ok, this is the third time in a month that this has happend to me...

I go into a store wanting to buy/order something (different store each time and I am dressed casually). I am looking at the items and the sales clerk tells me it is expensive, mind you she/he doesn't tell me the price - just that it is expensive.

HELLO??? Can I be the judge of that? Does he/she know how much I have or what I am willing to spend? Not the right way to make a sale...

Venting over, thank you for listening.....

Something like..."I was going to buy it from your store, but you talked me out of it..." comes to mind.

justleesa:
I am looking at the items and the sales clerk tells me it is expensive, mind you she/he doesn't tell me the price - just that it is expensive.

You know, I was thinking...practicing being nice and all...maybe she was suggesting that that item was overpriced and that there was an equally good product for better value? I don't mind that...just had that happen with some computer bits and saved quite a bit & they seem fantastic so far!

I had a similar experience recently, shopping for a sofa in an upscale store. Was dressed down (usually works to your advantage if you like looking without any "help"). Finally my friend I'm with starts getting bored and flags a salesperson. He looks us up and down and shows us some really low-end stuff. My friend says "No we mean something she'd actually put in her living room............you know something that looks good".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom