Do hoods offer problems with ears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
The way I see it--
My hood doesn't usually let water in through the ear area unless I specifically pull it back. Unless I do this, as I descend I can feel the squeeze. Thus there is a pressure differential between the inside of the hood and the outside. Probably small, but enough to be noticeable. What happens if you're at depth and somehow your hood lets in a rush of water (say you get kicked or whatever). Would this change in pressure possibly be enough to hurt your ears? Most likely no but it isn't something I'd want to chance.

I let water completely fill up my ears as I'm descending, especially with a hood. After a quick moment of chilly water I'm all warm again--big deal. If you use a 50/50 white vinegar/rubbing alcohol mix in your ears after your dive you probably won't have any issues with infections either (if you want to do it US Navy style, 5 minutes in each ear).
I've never had a problem diving with or without a hood. (Equalizing, that is.) A little water usually gets in all by itself since it's a wet hood; so I've never had to pull the hood away. I've never had a too-tight hood suction to my ear and cause the issues the OP described, so I also would suspect fit. As suggested, however, a little cold water that quickly heats up solves that issue.

My chronic ear infections, however, were 100% solved by the 50/50 mix SparticleBrane recommended. 5 minutes in each ear. A PITA when you want to hang out and socialize, but far better than pain, antibiotics, and no diving for 3 weeks each time!

CompuDude:
My chronic ear infections, however, were 100% solved by the 50/50 mix SparticleBrane recommended. 5 minutes in each ear. A PITA when you want to hang out and socialize, but far better than pain, antibiotics, and no diving for 3 weeks each time!
What I normally do:
1. Mix it up and put it in a baby bottle (should last a long time).
2. Bring baby bottle with me to dives.
3. Fill ear canals with solution after each dive and let it out after a few seconds.
4. When I get home, I do the 5-minute drill.

Usually my dive buddies are all squirting it into their ears after each dive as well so there's no embarrassment about it. :wink: Smells fantastic...

edit: It also works great as a disinfecting solution (at least I think so) if someone gets cut or scraped during the dive day. Even if it doesn't, the look of pain on someone's eyes is priceless as you put some alcohol/vinegar on a cut. :54:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom