Do hoods offer problems with ears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I see it--
My hood doesn't usually let water in through the ear area unless I specifically pull it back. Unless I do this, as I descend I can feel the squeeze. Thus there is a pressure differential between the inside of the hood and the outside. Probably small, but enough to be noticeable. What happens if you're at depth and somehow your hood lets in a rush of water (say you get kicked or whatever). Would this change in pressure possibly be enough to hurt your ears? Most likely no but it isn't something I'd want to chance.

I let water completely fill up my ears as I'm descending, especially with a hood. After a quick moment of chilly water I'm all warm again--big deal. If you use a 50/50 white vinegar/rubbing alcohol mix in your ears after your dive you probably won't have any issues with infections either (if you want to do it US Navy style, 5 minutes in each ear).

Doesn't seem to bother Ber Rabbit.... :)
Doubles_safety_stop.jpg

Seriously in Monterey we have 12 mil Otter Bay hoods and clearing is not a problem

I was still a newbie the first time I used a hood. So here I am dropping too quickly with my hands holding the hood away from my ears as I had just been advised. I let go with my left hand and added a bit of air to my BC. While I was doing that, I had dropped another 10-15 feet with the hood socked against my left ear. After I got the BC situation sorted out I reached up and pulled the hood away from my left ear. It worked just like a scuction cup, the pain was incredible. It was several months before the ear was good enough to dive again.

Any wonder I'm a bugger about buoyancy control these days?

the first thing i would do is check the fit of your hood. Overtight hoods can cause problems with equalising, as well as other things. my hood is deliberatly slightly tighter than snug, so when i descend i pull the hood away from my ears

Diving Doc:
the first thing i would do is check the fit of your hood. Overtight hoods can cause problems with equalising, as well as other things. my hood is deliberatly slightly tighter than snug, so when i descend i pull the hood away from my ears

I'll second that .. I had a badly fitted hood (too tight) and it was impossible to clear, normally it is just difficult. It was a rental and the only thing they had even close to my size, it felt tight in the neck and around the jaw.. Stripped it off and cleared instantly.

I find that letting in just a minimal amount of water at the start makes for a more comfortable dive with no ear pressure.

If you are using your own hood - it was common advice in the past to figureout where your ears are in relation to the hood when you wear it, and poke a small hole in each side of the hood to allow water to pass a little more freely into your ears. A sodering iron or hot nail works best because it melts to edge of the hole as you make the opening which prevents tearing.

Otherwise start equilizing before you leave the surface.

Ben_ca:
Doesn't seem to bother Ber Rabbit.... :)

Seriously in Monterey we have 12 mil Otter Bay hoods and clearing is not a problem

LOL! That's a 5mm hood over an attached latex hood on the drysuit. My hair is dry when I get done :D I wear my mask skirt over the latex hood and exhale through my nose to equalize the air in the hood and around my ears.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
LOL! That's a 5mm hood over an attached latex hood on the drysuit. My hair is dry when I get done :D I wear my mask skirt over the latex hood and exhale through my nose to equalize the air in the hood and around my ears.
Ber :lilbunny:

Would that be with or without wabbit ears? BTW, what kind of reception do you get with those underwater? :D

I pull the hood to fill my ear canals up with water on the surface prior to descent. Once there is no air in your ears you don't have to open your hood for the rest of the dive. At this point equalization is the same as no hood.

Cold water is not a problem as it warms up pretty quickly but again I only flood my ears once on the surface. (BTW my last dive was in 38F water)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom