Do Dogs Get Bored With Their Food?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything I have read indicates that dogs don't get bored with their food, and in fact it is better for their digestion to keep their diet consistent. Obviously they like treats and bacon but the same kibble making up the vast majority of their food is not a problem for them.

They definitely can get used to things, and even delicious things become mundane. My dog LOVED my ferrets' kibble and I used it as a training treat. When my ferrets had passed on, I started mixing some of their kibble into his to use it up. (It's 45% protein from chicken, no sugar, low carb, good stuff.) He was pretty happy with that at first, but before long, the ferret kibble was no more exciting than his regular kibble. It's useless as a treat now.

My dog was so bored with his food, I even had to spoon-feed him!
Now he gets plenty variety and he has good appetite. :)

My pooch got his third set of shots on Wednesday, and the shot was for Distemper (I do not know if it had the Parvo or the Leptospirosis components in the shot as the Veterinarian only mentioned Distemper). He also got a nasal suspension that aided in the prevention of Kennel Cough. [....]

About an hour later, the pup is breathing hard, he feels warm, and he then vomits. I clean him up, try to give him some water but he doesn't want any. Normally he is my little shadow but now he doesn't even want to move and normally he can't sit still for 2 seconds and hated to be held but now he's all too comfy on my lap. Well, then he vomits again. And again. And again. After ten episodes, we head to the Veterinarian and he is treated for Distemper Vaccine Reaction.

Thomas

Wow, Thomas, I'm glad "Sparky" came through that ok! My vet who has been in practice for 30+ years believes that reactions to vaccines are happening because animals are being given more than one vaccine at a time and it overloads the immune system.

As to your original question, I think some dogs do get bored with the same food over and over, while other dogs don't really mind. My two guys that I had to put down recently liked variety in their food. Sometimes I did the rice/chicken diet for them, it wasn't bad for me, either!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom