Do different brands of HID bulbs emit different hue/colors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Diverite 1000 15 watt HID, and when comparing to a Salvo 21 watt, the Salvo throws more of a bluish/purplish hue. I find the bluish hue easier to spot, especially when signaling.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have a Diverite 1000 15 watt HID, and when comparing to a Salvo 21 watt, the Salvo throws more of a bluish/purplish hue. I find the bluish hue easier to spot, especially when signaling.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, in general there is some variability in different lamps/ballasts and sometimes even between the same types of lamps/ballasts.

I've heard reports that the DR 15w is a bit "yellowish." Salvo and Halcyon 21Ws which use Brightstar HID parts, tend to be more blue, as you've described. The older 18W lights based on Welch-Allyn lamp/ballast seemed to be a bit more neutral white to me.

Color temperature also varies with increased wattage. Drive the same lamp at 18w and 24w and the resulting color can be noticeably different.

Also, the color of the HID will change as it ages; generally I've seen bulbs go more purple/pink with prolonged use, kind of like they're losing their blue hue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom