Do arms out scare fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddha64

Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to improve my photography I have a basic question. Does approaching a fish while holding your camera out with you arms scare fish? How does everyone get really close? I've had a few close shots but not the quantity I would like so any suggestions in this area would be helpful.

George.

Hi George,

That is en excellent question! I actually use the technique you described in your question to allow me to get closer to fish than if I were to have my camera right against my mask. It is a little challenging for me because I shoot with a housed SLR underwater cameraToday's underwater point and shoot digital cameras with their LCD preview screens allow you to get the camera way out in front of you keeping the mass of your body, and most importantly your bubbles an extra distance from the fish.

Another thing to try when shooting fish is to begin learning how to get a feel for if a fish will stick around for its portrait. This takes some time and practice but is well worth it as you will become more selective of which fish to spend time with and when to move on instead of wasting precious bottom time.

Hope this helps!

Hi George,

That is en excellent question! I actually use the technique you described in your question to allow me to get closer to fish than if I were to have my camera right against my mask. It is a little challenging for me because I shoot with a housed SLR underwater cameraToday's underwater point and shoot digital cameras with their LCD preview screens allow you to get the camera way out in front of you keeping the mass of your body, and most importantly your bubbles an extra distance from the fish.

Another thing to try when shooting fish is to begin learning how to get a feel for if a fish will stick around for its portrait. This takes some time and practice but is well worth it as you will become more selective of which fish to spend time with and when to move on instead of wasting precious bottom time.

Hope this helps!

Actually it does. I just got a housing for my Olympus E-330, live view lcd, and really want to take my photography to the next level. This should help quite a bit. It also helps that my dive partner is now getting into photography as well so we should be able to slow way down underwater. That should make a difference also.

George

No sudden movements helps as well. Drift closer or better still wait for the fish to come to you.

I have noticed that fish seem less perturbed if you approach with the camera already up. If you have the camera down, turn and raise it, that change in your posture alarms them.

I don't see arms out as bothering fish, and as a couple of others have mentioned, I hold my camera at arms length to get closer to some fish.

I think the key is to avoid any sudden movements.

I find some fish/octopus/sharks are sensitive to where you are looking. Staring at them seems to give them the idea that you are hunting them. Once they are spooked, they'll continue to avoid you so you'll just end up with a series of tail photos.

Along the same line, moving directly at a fish will often spook it. If possible, move at an ange and intercept it. I've had really good luck using this technique with mantas and eagle rays, particularly if I avoid turning my head to look directly at them. We just "accidentally" end up at the same spot.

Few thoughts . . . agree on sudden movements scaring fish, so whatever your position needed to capture the shot, is how you should approach. A photo-friendly dive buddy can really make all the difference, they can actually corral the fish towards your direction for a face front shot, as opposed to the usual opposite, into your frame area as you remain still :)

Donna

Thanks everyone this is all very good advice. I can see my photo's improving already. It seems I had done everything that I was supposed to avoid couple that with the massive shutter lag of my old camera. And I'm suprised I got the few good shots that I did. Now I can't wait to get my rig wet.

Thnaks,
George.

Study your prey and how it moves and try to be where it will be - waiting. An example are coral trouts - they always return to the same staghorn coral. Know your enemy.

Try to maintain a quiet and defined posture - meaning, fin slowly and carefully with defined movement. Do not move quickly. Do everything in slow motion such as moving your camera or strobes.

Yes - anything BIG is scary as a fish perceives it as a predator.

Lie or hover quietly and wait for your prey to approach you. If you stay in the area motionless, many fish will come to you as they will become accustomed to you being in their space.

Try and approach from below, close to the bottom or at eye level. Try not to approach from above. Predators attack from above!

Most GOOD images take planning.

SAFE diving, Iain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom