DMT kick-off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maged_mmh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Follow up to this thread - just not to repeat things over again:

1. Is there any differences in the DM crewpack versions: 2007/2008/2009?
2. also, is the DM video really necessary?
3. My instr. is insisting that I must have the IM as well (thoughts?) - it looks HUGE! :fear:
So far my understanding is that the IM will be changed altogether in 2009 (is it yet?)
things are looking so confusing! dunno where to start :idk: (yes, I went through the remarkable sticky, but I'm asking about the very, very beginning - how did you guys do it?)

The instructor manual is being redone this year and should be ready in the first quarter. As a DM, you do not get new manuals every year as Instructors do. I read on the board that new manuals stop after this year, but I didn't see anything in the training bulletins on it yet. I would not buy an IM right now, just wait on the new one as it has been revamped by removing redundancy. There is no difference in the DM materials. As far as the video, you might as well get used to those. They are a big part of the program. After hundreds of times, you get used to them. :)

The instructor manual is being redone this year and should be ready in the first quarter. As a DM, you do not get new manuals every year as Instructors do. I read on the board that new manuals stop after this year, but I didn't see anything in the training bulletins on it yet. I would not buy an IM right now, just wait on the new one as it has been revamped by removing redundancy. There is no difference in the DM materials. As far as the video, you might as well get used to those. They are a big part of the program. After hundreds of times, you get used to them. :)
Thanks so much for your help...

So, what access will I have then?

Not sure what you meat by that! there is /is not a new IM??
No choice, class starts next week, instr. insists..
actually from all PADI courses the only video that I found useful was the one of rescue only for rescue breaths technique & exits.. If the DM video of the same quality as OW & AOW I'm good without it..

anybody knows where to steal an IM? :D

So, what access will I have then?

Not sure what you mean about access.

Not sure what you meat by that! there is /is not a new IM??

There is a new manual coming out in this quarter. Instructors have been receiving a new digital manual every year. I read on another thread that after this year, they will not be sending out a new manual to instructors after this year. I have not seen this in the training bulletins yet, but it won't surprise me if they stop. Sorry if I was confusing. My brain is fried trying to write a website code. It's been 15 years or so since I built one and a lot has changed, but it's fun learning. Good luck on your course and have fun.

I meant for PADI PRO access..

So, how instructors will get the updates after this year?

Sorry to if I ask too much but the reason I ask is coz a CD will be coming (planned) over here in October; my instr. wants me to catch up with that ... I'm not sure though whether there is ample time for me to spare to do the IE??
must I go through the AI; or can I apply for IE--> OWSI without getting the AI?
I know it is still abit ahead but just to have sort of a plan.

Again any difference in DM crewpack contents/version of material from 2007 to 2009?

Last edited:
My instructor didn't make me buy an IM. He let me use his during training and said I might want to get my own copy at some point, but didn't need it right now. Sorry yours is making you buy one now. Did he say what his motivation is in having you own your own copy at this point (especially since a new edition is coming out soon)?

Don't know how much of this will apply because of OP's location, but In PADI Americas:

- The 2009 IM is in the same format as earlier versions. (I'm looking at it now).

- A quote from the lady who is leading the effort in PADI HQ: "We are currently simplifying the manual for a 2010 release." (underline added)

- The DM video is required to be used, but it can be your copy, or the instructor's copy.

- For the DM course, you are required to have your own copies of the Instructor Guide for DiveMaster Conducted Programs, but not necessarily the entire instructor manual.

But you indicate you are considering going beyond DM. You will be required to have your own copy of the IM for the IE.

The format of the IDC is such that part one is the AI course, and part two is the OWSI course. They can be conducted separately, or sequentially.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom