DMC question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Relax and have fun....this recreational diving level is all about safety,,,enjoy your class.

Help out as much as you can with logistics. Pick your positions in the water with care. If you are not sure where you need to be ask. I have helped certify over 40 students as part of my DM training. from jr OW to rescue. As well as doing discover scuba's with another 50 or so. You learn where the best positions are based on the instructors style, number of students in the water, their comfort levels, and ages when dealing with kids. Most are cool but I've had a couple youger ones in their first session that required hanging into their tank valves to keep em from going straight to the deep end while the instructor was busy with another student.
I also tend to position myself closer to those who may not be as comfortable. Not right on them but usually within reach and if possible I let them see me if they're not actively watching the instructor. I've actually seen some people visibly relax just by being in their line of sight and maybe throwing an OK at them. Especially in the first pool session. For me my first breath from a reg was like coming home. It felt natural. It is not always that way for others. You're presence there can be a very calming influence. I also do not show off during the first session by assuming the lotus position while hovering, do upside down things, etc. That can be intimidating. 2nd or 3rd session I'll loosen up a little when I think that hovering will cause them to say "cool I want to do that" or using breath control to hover upside down with my head 2-3 inches from the pool bottom to simulate dropping for a picture or to look at something and then raising up to about a foot and just slowly regaining the horizontal position. I will not do these things however if I feel that what they need is to just see me doing normal swimming with all this strange gear on. For some that's enough. How will you know? Experience and observation. Ask the instructor to critique your performance afterwards, be observant of the students- the instructor may rely on your opinion or observations of them to make adjustments to the class. There is so much more that will come with time. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy the ride.

All of the above is excellent advise. Kind of hard to add anything to it, but I'll share a couple of things, which during my internship earned me a lot of credibility with the students: I put myself in the student's wetsuit boots and remembered how I felt when I was a student (sort of scared yet excited at the same time), then I kept a watchful eye for those silent reactions on the students and just offered support. It helped to be in sync with my instructor at all times, and anticipate what was going to be his next move, which helped the flow of the class.

Another thing, and most important of all, remember you're there first as a student yourself, then as a "divemaster;" wait for your instructor to ask for your assistance, whether it is to turn off the student's air when simulating an OOA situation, or it is to demonstrate a skill, UNLESS you see a student is in distress and you can get to him/her before the instructor.

Otherwise, just enjoy yourself. This will be more of a learning experience for you than it will be for the students; you'll not only be reviewing your own skills, but also learning how to properly demonstrate them and to recognize students' behavior. Be a support and a leader at the same time.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!!!!!

Pay strict attention the the instructor during reviews and briefings. If your attention wanders, so will the students. Never take your eyes off the students underwater. You must be ready for anything they might do.
Make sure your gear is ready to go, you won't have any time to mess with it when the students are gearing up. Bring all the gear necessary to the dive!
Read the standards before the dive, discuss your role with the instructor.
Never leave a student alone underwater.
Bring coffee in the morning. (Dunkin Donuts big box) A sure 5.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom