DMC question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure,

1. Use your head.
2. Anticipate the instructors needs.
3. If you see a student with a problem, by all means help or bring it to the instructors attention.
4. If you want some 5's, record air pressures, entry times, stufflike that.
5. NEVER make an instructor look bad infront of a student. Also, NEVER ridicule, insult, or tease a student. You never know how their sense of humor works.
6. The only time you may ridicule an instructor is when at the end of the day, after the students leave, there is no beer on ice behind the shop.
7. HAVE FUN!!

The first one or two sessions can be a little unnerving, but after awhile, they become really easy and fun.

Meet with the instructor well before hand - without the divers-in-training present - and find out exactly what they expect of you, what they want you to do, what they DON'T want you to do, etc.

all very good advice....please keep it coming.

I do know the instructor very well and have many dives together...so we do have a good dive relationship going in to this.

Any advice, suggestions,etc.....all intended to see what experiences everyone has been through...and hopefully I can learn something that will help my Instructor have a great class for his OW students. That's what its all about!

be the second pair of eyes and second pair of hands for the instructor.

help with the logistics. Instructors like having time with their students and if you can helo with that by loading/unloading tanks, helping assemble gear and gearing up students and having them in the right place at the right time, the instructors job is easier and less stressful..

What is appropriate to do when the instructor is going over the briefing for the first confined water dive?

S_SIMON:
What is appropriate to do when the instructor is going over the briefing for the first confined water dive?

Hang back and listen - no real need to chime in unless the instructors asks you a question or to amplify/reinforce a point. Pretty much wanna just "be there" especially if you are "interning" the class vs "actually" DMing the class.

Is the expectation that you are "DMing" the class, or are you just observing?

I will be DM'ing....and I know I will go over expectations in detail with the instructor. It is nice to hear from people that have been in my shoes.

The class consists of a couple, one being very comfortable in the water, the other one...not that comfortable.

S_SIMON:
It is nice to hear from people that have been in my shoes.

Um, you may wish to review gear config with the instructor before the class - we use fins here in NJ!

:)

Just came in from a 3 hour confined water session, module 2......2 people, a couple that will get married and do their open water sessions in the Bahamas.....the advice given already pretty much says it all...wait to help until the instructor has introduced the skill...be ready to demonstrate the skill when ask to demonstration quality, slow, easy pointing out important parts of the skill, etc.....I have been lucky enough to work with 2 seperate instructors and each have their own ways....I try to anticipate what they will need so they don't have to wait for me to get out and go get something, I have extra weights at pool side before we teach the bouyancy checks, extra weight belts, defog etc. Be enthusiastic, helpful, and above all, make sure you do the right things....the students are always watching. I also dress nicely when I arrive at the pool, pressed golf shirt, shaved, clean shorts and give a professional image from the get go. It is fantastic to be given a student to work with who is having problems with say mask clearing and helping them through it, (while maintaining neutral buoyancy, Walter) and seeing them flash that ok signal and the light in their eyes when they accomplish the skill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom