DM5 Changing Units

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C0RALHEAD

New
Reaction score
I have just purchased a Suunto EON Core. I've installed DM5 to my iMac Pro and uploaded my first set of dives. While trying to learn the interface, I wanted to convert the default units from metric to imperial. I see no obvious way to do it. But then, Suunto seems to pride itself on making things as obscure as possible with little or no documentation.

Would one of you more experienced users be kind enough to tell me the secret? There is no typical "Preferences" in the dropdown menus. In fact, there aren't ANY dropdown menus!

I quit using DM5 a while back. I was using the windows version but there definitely was a way to change units. But the software is so buggy it is extremely frustrating to use.

I'm using Subsurface now. It is free, has windows and mac versions as well as mobile apps for both android and iphone which sync with the desktop version, and downloads data from a wide variety of PDCs. Plus, from my experience, it is much more intuituve and gives you much better dive info once the dives are downloaded.

There are loads of other dive log programs as well that are much better than DM5. So save yourself from this atrocity of a program now.

Hi Coralhead,

You need the Eon Core physically connected to your Mac - then it will show up in the devices section. Click on it then customization (I'm going form memory here will get the exact steps when I get home tonight.

Ok here are the definite steps:

1. Have your Eon Core connected via USB
  2. On the left of the screen in the devices section click on EON CORE
  3. On the right side click on the General Settings tab
  4. Pick Metric, Imperial or Advanced
Advanced lets you choose separately for Depth, Temperature and Pressure.

And despite GreggS's rant above I don't beleive you can do this in Subsurface.

1) Ditch DM5 like it gave you an STD
2) Pick up MacDive or Subsurface
3) Live happily never having to worry about using that POS Suunto program ever again.

@JohhnyC - can you explain how to customize the EON interface in Subsurface? I cant find it at all.

Or perhaps you just wanted to rant and not answer the OP's question.

I have no disagreement that those options may be better software for logging dives, but the OP is asking a specific question that I don't believe can be accomplished by either

@JohhnyC - can you explain how to customize the EON interface in Subsurface? I cant find it at all.

Or perhaps you just wanted to rant and not answer the OP's question.

I have no disagreement that those options may be better software for logging dives, but the OP is asking a specific question that I don't believe can be accomplished by either

First, it's Johnny, not Johhny.

Second, Nope, I can't explain it. I ditched DM5 years ago because it's a dumpster fire of a software program.

Third, my answer, should the OP choose to follow up, will provide an infinitely better user experience, and thus more product satisfaction, than any amount of dicking around with said POS software package. So maybe in that regard I did answer the OP, just not in the way you think. The fact that second post in this thread said the same thing I did, would leave me to believe that my recommendation will be an order of magnitude more helpful in the long run. Also, MacDive and Subsurface both offer the ability to change unit types.

@JohnnyC Sorry for the mangling your handle.

Just checked in the latest version of subsurface (4.7.8) it can't change the units displayed on the Eon Core - it can change the units displayed in subsurface and for a small number of computers - but the eon core isn't one of them.

If you’re running a Mac, try MacDive. I love it. Very user friendly.

Ok here are the definite steps:

1. Have your Eon Core connected via USB
  2. On the left of the screen in the devices section click on EON CORE
  3. On the right side click on the General Settings tab
  4. Pick Metric, Imperial or Advanced
Advanced lets you choose separately for Depth, Temperature and Pressure.

And despite GreggS's rant above I don't beleive you can do this in Subsurface.
First of all, I apparently mistook what he was asking. It appeared to me he was asking about changing the default units in the DM5 software, not the Eon Core itself. I would have assumed that the Eon could be switched from the menu on the computer itself like my Vyper Novo will do regardless of whether it is connected to an exterior program. I simply didn't think of anyone needing outside software to change the PDCs units when it is a rather simple thing to do thru most DCs menu. And although it has been quite some time since I remived DM5 from my desktop, I do know changing the units within the program itself is possible...just as it is with Subsurface. Is there a way to change the units in the DC from Subsurface? Possibly. There is a window that supposedly will make certain changes to the dive computer but I've never used it. As I said earlier, it wasn't necessary to do it that way.

Secondly, demeaning my "rant" does not change the fact that DM5 is for the most part a worthless POS software. That doesn't mean that some people may get lucky and it actually works for them. But I've experienced what an awful program it is as well as read about the experiences of enough other users to know it sucks beyond belief. If you use it and are not having problems, congratulaions. Hope your luck holds out. I'm just trying to help a fellow Suunto user avoid the possibility of endless frustration by using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom