DM Pay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never said it was a job...my initial reply was to those posting that, at least in their experience, DMs in America received little to nothing in pay/benefits for becoming a DM. I just wanted to say it's not the same everywhere. And in Thailand, the cost of living is such, that this compensation would support a simple lifestyle.
I've been paired up, by the dive operator, with a few who operate freelance on Koh Tao. They only work for the higher priced operators and stay away from the three cattle boat operators.

I've been paired up, by the dive operator, with a few who operate freelance on Koh Tao. They only work for the higher priced operators and stay away from the three cattle boat operators.
Yes, everywhere has their quality shops and mass market operations. Ko Tao certifies so many DMs that there are probably always people willing to work for free room and board.

Being (a)
"Professional" means a lot of things. It can refer to specialized training required to do a job, it can refer to being paid to engage in an activity most people do on a recreational basis, and it can refer to the conscientious manner in which someone performs a task in accordance with best practices.

Getting paid well isn't a necessary part of any of those meanings.

As a general rule, it's very difficult to make a living doing something that millions of people love to do for free or at great expense to themselves. This rule applies to writers, musicians, athletes of every sort, skiers, surfers, anybody who races anything, crossword puzzle enthusiasts, actors, dancers, and beer tasters. For all these groups and many others, the median net income is zero.

I think most divemasters and dive instructors (at least the ones who don't take the plunge to buy a shop or a charter boat) quickly acquire a pretty realistic idea of their earning potential, but that realistic view does not dissuade them from approaching their jobs with a professional level of commitment. Many aim no higher than to dive locally for free or to earn enough to cover some of the cost of gear, continuing education, and dive travel. Those modest financial aspirations do not make them less professional or less than professional.

That's why I don't think it's disingenuous or dishonest to refer to divemasters or dive instructors as professionals or to promote professional standards and levels of care among them.
Being (a) "Professional" was discussed at length here several years ago. We dug into every possible definition of the word. I'll say what I said back then-- I think the MOST common use of the term refers to someone making money. I do think it is degrading to pay DMs free air and perks like shop discounts and then refer to them as professionals. They are interested people who feel they are "giving back" to an activity which has been good to them and they love (maybe LeBron James can do that by donating 10 million to a school). And they ruin it for all the others who would like to be paid and be legitimately called "professionals".

Being (a)

Being (a) "Professional" was discussed at length here several years ago. We dug into every possible definition of the word. I'll say what I said back then-- I think the MOST common use of the term refers to someone making money. I do think it is degrading to pay DMs free air and perks like shop discounts and then refer to them as professionals. They are interested people who feel they are "giving back" to an activity which has been good to them and they love (maybe LeBron James can do that by donating 10 million to a school). And they ruin it for all the others who would like to be paid and be legitimately called "professionals".
I would tend to agree; I don't think a DM should guide or provide other shop services without cash remuneration or what's the point for most to join the "professional ranks " However, I'm not prepared to condemn those that do.

I would tend to agree; I don't think a DM should guide or provide other shop services without cash remuneration or what's the point for most to join the "professional ranks " However, I'm not prepared to condemn those that do.
Fair enough. It is what it is. Same with the music industry and other "fun" occupations, as Scraps pointed out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom