DM pay or free to 'hold hand'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy43068:
I know her. I'll do that tomorrow. She and I are taking DIR-F together this weekend.

Have fun, be safe and best of luck to both of you in the class! Hell, I don't know you, but tell her I said to give you a hug too :wink:

Christi:
However, something no one has brought up is that if this person is a divemaster, whether he/she is a "friend" diivng with you or if he/she is diving with you as a contracted employee, he is still a diving professional and still has a significant level of implied responsibility/liability IF something were to go wrong, whether you explicity say this or not. This is why anyone who is a divemaster/instructor, whether working full-time, part-time, or not at all in that capacity needs to carry insurance. .

I disagree. Do you know of any DM who has been held liable for something going wrong on a dive? I am talking about an actual case where the DM was required to pay.

Christi:
Have fun, be safe and best of luck to both of you in the class! Hell, I don't know you, but tell her I said to give you a hug too :wink:
We're emailing as we speak. :)

Thanks!!

wedivebc:
I disagree. Do you know of any DM who has been held liable for something going wrong on a dive? I am talking about an actual case where the DM was required to pay.

I cannot cite you a specific case at the moment, but I am willing to bet that there have been many cases involving a similar scenario. Whether the outcome was/is favorable to the DM is really irrelevant.

As a Dive Professional (at least as a PADI Pro) you are required to report any accidents/incidents that you are aware of and/or have witnessed/been involved in.
I am not familiar with the laws in Canada, but in the US he/she does have an implied responsibility in the event of an accident.

Again, whether the outcome is favorable for the DM or not, they will most likely be tied up in an investigation and legal proceedings for a good amount of time, especially with the itigious nature of American society.

No offense intended, but I have to admit, I am really surprised to read this comment coming from a former LDS owner. I would think risk management would be at the top of your list.

Randy43068:
but I'd not discount the barter system, either. I trade engineering services for other "stuff" all of the time.
SSSsshhhhh! You'll have the friendly tax man at your door.
Rick :)

Christi:
I cannot cite you a specific case at the moment, but I am willing to bet that there have been many cases involving a similar scenario. Whether the outcome was/is favorable to the DM is really irrelevant.

As a Dive Professional (at least as a PADI Pro) you are required to report any accidents/incidents that you are aware of and/or have witnessed/been involved in.
I am not familiar with the laws in Canada, but in the US he/she does have an implied responsibility in the event of an accident.

Again, whether the outcome is favorable for the DM or not, they will most likely be tied up in an investigation and legal proceedings for a good amount of time, especially with the itigious nature of American society.

No offense intended, but I have to admit, I am really surprised to read this comment coming from a former LDS owner. I would think risk management would be at the top of your list.

Christi,

I understand whata you are saying about costs. What I mean is that my dad wants to/will pay for everything except the actual tanks and stuff like that. He loves getting out on his boat and being on the water. I want this to be something that he can enjoy with us as does he. We can go on combined fishing and diving trips eventually I would think.

Part of my objectives are to start getting everyone more comfortable with doing these things. I know it is not uncommon for people to dive on their own/off their own boats. I want to be as safe as possible and ease into it rather than just go at it alone, hence the logic behind going on a boat to a shore dive at a jettie, 55 ft max depth in an established diving location. I just want someone to come along that has dove those areas (preferably a lot) and in exchange I will pay them. If they feel like it they can give us some tips and advice.

I know my dad wont be in the league of a profesional diving captain but he is a fast learner and Im sure they will be some screw ups but as long as we are safe and take it step by step I think we will be find.

Is what I am talking about doing, going diving from my dads boat a strange thing? It seems like everyone thinks Im crazy. With all the boats in the panhandle of FL and all the rich old geezers like my dad are people not diving like that or does everyone only dive off chartered trips with 2 or more DM's?

Christi:

No offence taken. Like everything in scuba diving we weigh risk against reward and make decisions accordingly. I never required my DMs to have insurance because I have never heard of any case of a DM being successfully sued. It is using the same rational that I don't have tornado insurance, now if I lived in Oklahoma... :D

wedivebc:
No offence taken. Like everything in scuba diving we weigh risk against reward and make decisions accordingly. I never required my DMs to have insurance because I have never heard of any case of a DM being successfully sued. It is using the same rational that I don't have tornado insurance, now if I lived in Oklahoma... :D

You make an excellent point my friend :)

TyTy

Just for info, chances are a "professional" diver already gets his/her air for free and probably the boat trip as well. So there is little enticement in your initial offer. Sounds like you are offering the pleasure of your company.

There's no mention here of your/your dad's/your buddy's age, number of dives, training level, kind of boat. If you guys are not comfortable diving alone (no crowd) get some more training. If you are not comfortable diving off your own boat, or if your dad is not comfortable sitting up top while you are in the water, maybe you need to take baby steps. Don't make the first experiment a 60 ft dive. I'm not familiar with Pensacola but are there shallow, near shore sites ? where your dad can not only see your flag (and you want to dive with a flag), bubbles and maybe even your body. A nice calm pool-like place where you can experience getting into the water and back on the boat without risk of losing anything. Maybe a place where other private (or not) dive boats will be in the area in case something goes wrong.

If you do hook up with another "experienced" dive buddy to come along for the ride ask them if they have ever dove off a small boat themselves. It sounds like your dad is looking for a chaparone, make sure that is what you are getting, and not just another lost duckling.

Ease into it. Diving off your own boat is great. Build on a lot of small successes.

Remember to take your weight belt off before your BC when getting back into the boat :)

(You already addressed some of my points yourself while I was typing - and it is not unusual to dive off a small boat - my wife and I dive off our 25' whaler a couple of times a week)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom