DM or Master Diver????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

#160 in this thread
howarde:
That's because there are more reasons NOT to do it. "Master Scuba Diver" is a certification driven by ego, and the sense of accomplishment. "I'm a Master Scuba Diver". It's the ultimate card collectors card.
Followed by #162 in this thread
howarde:
I wouldn't do DM - unless I planned on working as a DM. Also, from what I understand about DM, the skills you learn are more focused on "leadership skills"
So your advice to OP is "NO. Don't do either?" :shakehead

The OP had asked:
hudman10:
I need help!! I'm one specialty away from Master Diver. Is DM worth the money and comitment? I have a wife ( with C card but will not dive any more) and 2 kids (5 and 3) who dont dive obviously. I want to dive more and use DM as an excuse but DM sounds like too much workand money for my current situation. Plus, do I wanna work or play when I dive?????

Didn't really address his question, did it?

BiggDawg:
#160 in this threadFollowed by #162 in this thread
So your advice to OP is "NO. Don't do either?" :shakehead

Didn't really address his question, did it?

Yes I did... I said - don't do either. Unless you plan on working as a DM.

Or maybe I should have said, "Take the DM course, IFF (that means If and only if) you plan on working as a DM"

howarde:
Yes I did... I said - don't do either. Unless you plan on working as a DM.

Or maybe I should have said, "Take the DM course, IFF (that means If and only if) you plan on working as a DM"

I know a fellow geek when I see one.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to waste their money on a PADI MD card unless they just like to brag. Of course they don't realize that there a certain circles of divers out there that would just laugh.

As far as a DM card, Howard said it.

Just a slightly different take on this....Even if you don't work as a paid employee, having a Divemaster can still be useful because you are considered responsible for yourself legally and tend to be restricted less as the liable parties (Boat operators, resorts, feel legally less responsible for you) This may open certain doors on special boat trips, research, or volunteer oportunities. If you are diving locally, where you live, often operators will not charge a divemaster even if you are not working for them. If they have room on the boat and get to know you, and you try and be helpful and pitch in a bit, it can be a nice situation for both parties.

I am too. I certainly can relate to what you are saying. I did my Master Divewr since I had so many certifications. I really love diving, I just can't seem to finish my DM. I've even taken some of the tests & have all the hands on with students and all the pool practice completed. I am just not interested in finishing it now and have a lot of fun diving recreationally 1 weekend a month. I think I just need a good swift kick of motivation to finish the DM.

Catherine, I agree about the professionalism.

:lol: Okay all.................:11: :confused: :14:

I'm going to go for both. Most of everyone in this thread over thought the question. I am more than qualified for both. My main question was would I still enjoy diving being a DM as apposed to a MD. I do plan on diving either way and all of my specialties are "legit" specialties...........Deep diver, Navigation, Wreck and Night diving!!!! And yes so far Rescue Diver is the one I would recommend over all of them so far due to the confidence and learning you do in the one course. But also.........due to my rescue course I feel somewhat burdened on every dive I do to make sure everyone else is okay....I'm always scaning my dive partners for problems. Not a bad thing obviously, but I'm very comfortable in the water and many people ive been diving with say they are and are very much not. Don't mind the work but also dont mind having fun!!!!

Thanks to everyone in the thread!! It's been fun.:lol:

Brett

hudman10:
:lol: Okay all.................:11: :confused: :14:

I'm going to go for both. Most of everyone in this thread over thought the question. I am more than qualified for both. My main question was would I still enjoy diving being a DM as apposed to a MD.

The hubby is a DM and wasn't enjoying diving as much since he was doing it as a job. He still dives, only for fun now.

Thalassamania:
The point is that a diver can, in fact, reach the level of MASTER DIVER and not have the concept down.

From what I've seen that is true of ANY recreational agency, save possibly for one or two club based ones.

From what I can tell, you don't even have to have the concept to make it right up the chain to CD.

Skip Parker:
From what I can tell, you don't even have to have the concept to make it right up the chain to CD.

Scary isn't it! :D

Skip Parker:
From what I've seen that is true of ANY recreational agency, save possibly for one or two club based ones.

There are SAC rate questions on most of the AI, DM and Instructor Exams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom