DM/Medical Ethics Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First Off - I Love Diving! I have decided to pursue the PADI DM course, mostly for my own diving enhancement. I know there are a lot of opinions about the value of PADI DM on the board, but that's not what this post is about. I want to do it for my own edification. I'm partly motivated by a really good DM coordinator at my LDS. I took my rescue course with him a few years ago and I've done a trip with him as well. He's thorough but laid back - ideal for me.

So, now, the twist - I'm an insulin dependent diabetic. I have been for over 20 years. My management is good. My A1Cs are near normal. I understand how the disease affects me and what the diving risks are. I have completed over 125 dives and never had a diabetes-related incident. Deep dives, wreck dives, drift, shore, boat, etc. I have served as an informal group leader and helper on trips. I have the signed medical release forms from my endo and the DM instructor doesn't see a problem with it. It does give me pause, however. Because up to this point, I've only ever ultimately been responsible for my own safety. In the role of the DM, I know I will be at least partially responsible for the safety of the students. I know the instructor is really the one responsible and the DM is more like a helper, but the students rely on the DM to some extent. If my condition caused me to feel unsafe diving, I certainly would not lead any students anywhere.

So, does the decision to pursue this seem ethically questionable? Are there any IDDM-DMs out there (you'll know what that means...)?

I know of an insulin-dependent diabetic technical instructor.

If you are taking responsibility for others, you have to be doubly cautious with yourself. But all of us have our weaknesses or limitations. I'm not strong enough to help students a whole lot on difficult entries, but I still DM. You have to decide how safe you think you can keep yourself, and if you're Type I and keeping your A1Cs normal, you are doing a very good job. (Just realize you're going to have to compromise that perfect control a bit to be safe when diving!)

Thanks for the reply, TSandM. My procedure for pre-dive prep allows me to float my levels high. Usually I can time it so that the elevations only last for the duration of the dive and then get it back down. Sometimes circumstances mean I'm elevated for longer, but so far I've never dipped down into dangerous hypo territory.

It's nice to know there are others out there, and nice to see no one in the SB community finds the idea immediately objectionable.

Back
Top Bottom