DM jobs in oz.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katerina

New
Reaction score
hello all. would quite like some info from those in the know about the availability of divemaster jobs in queensland...

i'm backpacking round oz next year, and i'm doing padi divemaster in sydney (crossing over from bsac dive leader). the plan is to get work at one of the many dive centres up the coast - to supplement travels rather than earn proper money. thing is, i'm not really sure how feasible that is!

can anyone help me?

:)

cheers!

kate

If you are doing it a Pro Dive in Sydney they'll probably help you find work. A friend of my has just become an instructor there and they found her work - although it was in their shop in Sydney.

If you want I can put you in touch with her.....

Jonathan

thanks, but i've already booked my course through abyss diving. hopefully i'll be alright!

cheers
kate

I did my open water training with Pro-Dive out of Cairns, Austrailia. I found them to be a top-notch organization and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Originally posted by katerina
thanks, but i've already booked my course through abyss diving. hopefully i'll be alright!

cheers
kate

thanks, i will do! i'd booked the course ages ago though - i was asking about the general chances of getting a job with PADI divemaster, rather than recommendations for particular outfits!

cheers anyway
kate

Hi Kate - was not trying to suggest agencies, the point is ask them if they can help get you a job.

I don't know how easy it is to get jobs as I have not tried myself but I have heard that it is easier to get DM jobs if you have number of relevant specialities and also if you are an AI or preferably an Instructor - don't know how true that is......

Also found this link in Diver, it may help as it mentions a recruitment service: www.flyingfishonline.com

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Jonathan

Hi Kate, finding work as a DM is difficult but not impossible.
In places such as Cairns, every second person is a dive instructor, many shops offer job placement to their own trainees. With so many people looking for work there are many people who are willing to work for free to gain experience, be wary of anywhere offering such a deal. Many of the day boats are SSI. Further south in Airlie beach there is work available on backpacker charter boats for DMs and host/hostess. A large well respected company called Fantasea cruises take on DMs from time to time they pay well and look after their staff. Most of the work is acting as snorkel guides.
At larger shops such as Oceania dive most of their DMs have gone through their training there and work as DMs with the pay (or most of it) being used to pay for an upcoming IDC with Tony Fontes (arguably the best CD in Oz.) If you are seriously interested in a dive career, they are well worth speaking to.
You'll need a commercial dive medical to AS2227 O2 provider first aid cert (PADI MFA isn't recognised in Qld) possibly Occupational health and safety at sea cert valid work visa dive insurance a second language is a big plus especially japanese(in Cairns and Surfers Paradise) A bit long winded but good luck and you'll do fine. D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom