DM Internships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not telling because I understand the economics of replying. :p
If you ever join a discussion here about tipping, it will quickly become apparent to you that a lot of people either:

a) can't dispassionately discuss an issue that affects their pocketbook, or

b) regard a discussion here as an opportunity to sway the public towards their point of view.

LOL...wow. That's all I can say is wow. To answer Dale's comment I never got into diving to move to a distant island and teach...I became an instructor to teach occasionally here locally to offset some of the costs for new gear.

As for Agency Bashing...go right ahead...I really don't care. All I ask is that you please let me know any tradeschool (and yes any dive training agency would be considered a tradeschool) that protects its students and does as you claim is necessary? You claim PADI should because they control the dive centers...um...no they don't. Yes they send materials and certify some for higher ratings...but last I checked, PADI doesn't pay the store's bills, nor throw new clients at them (though they do have a website that lists their PADI centers...PADI doesn't actively go out and market for the shop itself).

So...Am I to believe you feel PADI should "demand" the shops adhere to hiring practices because they provide materials? Please...PADI only steps in when there is a grievous incident that comes to their attention which they are forced to investigate. I know countless so called instructors who shouldn't be teaching and who have been reported countless times...and they get warnings...maybe a teaching status suspension...but nothing more. So what exactly do you think PADI is going to do to a shop? I witnessed first hand a shop was requested by PADI not to train divers in other agencies for OW because the shop was a 5star dive center. The shop ignored PADI and in turn Padi lowered them to a PADI center and not 5star center. Whoopie!

So please tell me exactly what influence PADI "CAN" have in a shops decision making? Even if PADI did step in and demand better pay for their professionals...1. the shop doesn't have to listen 2. they may not have the money for it as sales are down 3. PADI or any other agency don't have the resources to check on everyone.

Dale, I appreciate that you feel we should be paid more, but so should regular teachers and every profession out there in my eyes. Seems like you want to institute a Dive Union...and that would be the last thing on Earth I would ever want to see or belong to.

As for what does PADI do to prevent exploitation...excatly what every other tradeschool does or should do...nothing. Therefore its up to us to do something about it which is why I was with Airborne in explaining what the original poster was doing was wrong. As long as we help to keep people educated, we help our own cause.

Zippsy, I realize you may think it was absolutely clear what the original poster was stating, but I come across people everyday that make me wonder how they lived this long without someone constantly reminding them to breathe. When we see people like little miss Jessica asking if the can of tunafish called chicken of the sea is chicken or tuna...you have to realize what may seem obvious...really isn't to everyone. That's why I sided with Airborne from the get go to better explain the original posters message.

You also could consider the possibility that the owner throws in a bunch of very nice perks, like:

Free unlimited diving; reduced IDC tuition and crewpak fees; access to DPVs, underwater cameras, and rebreathers on days off; tuition waivers for specialties like underwater photography; PADI dues and insurance covered by dive op; free medical and chamber facility care; and possibly flight reimbursement for contract completion.

While its true this person will have to work for his experience, consider how much some of us would be willing to spend for unlimited diving for a month, or longer, with zero-cost accommodations...

If you negotiated poorly and paid scant attention to detail you could get royally hosed.

First of all to work on a boat as a DM your required to have your professional liability insurance which I do have. That costs $350.00 a year.. NOT FREE. I think that if your a boat and you need a DM and frankly unless you can split your self you do need a Divemaster you need to pay them. Divemasters generally work for about $50 a dive trip plus tips. This is the going rate. Good boats that stay busy pay about $100.00 plus tips and generally never loose thier divemasters. A divemaster that has been working for the boat a long time will generally be a much better dm for that boat and know the waters, currents, weather and animals better. Getting cheap labor means you get well trained divers with minimal experience to act as your saftey persons. I think that is fine as long as you have another DM on board to offer additional training. But to pay NOTHING but tips is first of all Illegal in the USA and secondly IS in very poor taste to treat a human being who has worked for months and spent tons of money to become a divemaster. This certification requires, CPR, AED, First Aid, Rescue Training and Certification, Advanced Certification, 60 minimum logged dives, and a plethora of encylopedia of diving knowledge on theory, currents, marine life, physics, equipment and demonstration quality skills. Frankly I know how hard I worked and I am getting paid for my DM time. I think you have little ethics and are breaking the law if you do not do the same. No one should have to work for free.

if your getting all that then your not working for free.. that actually sounds like a pretty good deal Incubus.. by the way.. why the name of a demon rapist for your board name?

Wadedeeper, no offense but you are one of the problems, not the solution. By your own admission you became an instructor to "teach occasionally and offset some gear costs". What commitment can one expect of you towards the advancement of your profession? You're jaded, you think the whole thing is a mess and you don't really care, as long as you get your discount. Do dabblers raise the profession up or act to muddy the waters. How could any serious DM/instructor effect change if there are a raft of casuals or volunteers ready and willing to cut away and undermine any position of strength they might try to build.
In comparison to other professions; do you often hear nurses saying they just got into it for a day here and there and discounts on bandaids? Do teachers just go to work for cheaper pencils?
BTW just curious. Why wouldn't you want a dive union? Do you enjoy allowing the employer to hold all the cards to the point where they expect you to work for free?
As for what role PADI should/could/ought to play. The name says it all (or ought to). What does the acronym P.A.D.I. stand for?

Last edited:
Wadedeeper, no offense but you are one of the problems, not the solution. By your own admission you became an instructor to "teach occasionally and offset some gear costs". What commitment can one expect of you towards the advancement of your profession? You're jaded, you think the whole thing is a mess and you don't really care, as long as you get your discount. Do dabblers raise the profession up or act to muddy the waters. How could any serious DM/instructor effect change if there are a raft of casuals or volunteers ready and willing to cut away and undermine any position of strength they might try to build.
In comparison to other professions; do you often hear nurses saying they just got into it for a day here and there and discounts on bandaids? Do teachers just go to work for cheaper pencils?
BTW just curious. Why wouldn't you want a dive union? Do you enjoy allowing the employer to hold all the cards to the point where they expect you to work for free?
As for what role PADI should/could/ought to play. The name says it all (or ought to). What does the acronym P.A.D.I. stand for?

I love that I am the problem. I am guessing there is little hope of trying to debate with you on this. You seem pretty biased yourself and regardless of any points I make, its likely to fall on deaf ears. I'll continue to teach when I want and get more people excited to experience the underwater world. It never grows old seeing a person's eyes light up the first time you take them down. Have fun in your search for answers.

If there are people stupid enough or well off enough to take the OP up on that offer then let them, surely if someone is going out there working for free as an already qualified DM then that will show in the work that they do and the organisation will feel the effects of having an inexperienced (in that area) and frankly non commited attitude and lose their customers to a better centre.
We could all argue that PADI could do a better job, but like many people have said it is not just up to PADI to sort the problem as clearly the dive centres and the people that are looking for work are also to blame...so how to you really start to address the issue?
I'm currently doing my DM internship to get my qualification, now I get free dives, free air, free food, free speciality qualifications and powerboat training so i'm not going to complain. However once qualified there would have to be some pretty good benefits for me to take work with no pay, and surely that is the attitude that should be stressed by all instructors teaching their students? If that happened then the industry may move forward, but then there is the offset that if all schools did pay their staff that well, there would have to be an increased cost, so the customer base would decrease...it's really a case of simple supply and demand in the end.

Yes, Internships should be for those training to earn their DM or Instructor status. Do not work for free.

I am new to the SB forum. I have just recently completed my Dm certification and have a few questions. I am in Houston right know and there is not a lot of diving here. My family and I will be moving back to Florida around the first of the year. My question is;

How do I get started? (Meaning no exp. As a DM)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom