DM crossover question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Have any of you done a crossover at the DM level to another agency? Or hold DM certs from two or more? If so what was involved both cost and education wise? Reason I'm asking is that even though I'm PADI I'm taking NAUI tech courses and considering a NAUI technical support course which would count towards a tech DM rating. This would result in me being at some point a PADI DM and NAUI DM able to DM on tech dives. PADI does not have a tech DM rating and I don't think DSAT is even geared towards tech DM duties.

I would also be interested in this info, considering I will be certified as an IANTD DM, and some day would like too transfer over to PADI.

Before you take the Tech Support Leader course, you'd need to be a NAUI DM, AI, instructor or even a scuba certified Skin Diving Instructor. I would ask your tech instructor if you could be working toward one of those at the same time as your tech classes. I doubt that NAUI DM would pose much of a challenge since you are already a PADI DM. Lots of similar material in both agency's courses. I think that would also be the least expensive way , too.

The_DivePirate:
I would also be interested in this info, considering I will be certified as an IANTD DM, and some day would like too transfer over to PADI.

I spoke to PADI training on this just the other day as we had a SSI Divecon wanting to crossover. I was told you would have to take the entire PADI DM course. However they recommended that you go straight to AI or IDC since you already have the prerequisite for those and a lateral crossover probably wouldn't be your best bet.

If you don't want to do the whole IDC thing I suggest just the AI portion as it is less time consuming and in most instances cheaper.

My understanding was that a DM was a DM, in that a Instructor could use any agency DM (insurance issues aside).

Also the SSI Dive Con is a AI per the RSTC, so would cross over at that level (if they wanted)

I wouldn't cross over until I was at least an OW Instructor.

I am a PADI DM, SDI DM, and a TDI DM. I did the PADI DM first and then did the cross over for the other two. A lot of the coursework is the same, although the acronyms are slightly different and some of the books are longer than others.

Oceanus:
My understanding was that a DM was a DM, in that a Instructor could use any agency DM (insurance issues aside).

Also the SSI Dive Con is a AI per the RSTC, so would cross over at that level (if they wanted)

I wouldn't cross over until I was at least an OW Instructor.

Nope..to assist in a padi course the dm must be padi...

I went from BSAC "Dive Leader" to PADI DM but i had to sit the DM course - couldnt just cross over directly.
Certainly for PADI you have to be an in-status padi divemaster to perform padi DM roles.

String:
I went from BSAC "Dive Leader" to PADI DM but i had to sit the DM course - couldnt just cross over directly.
Certainly for PADI you have to be an in-status padi divemaster to perform padi DM roles.

My girlfriend did the same thing. It basically boils down to the fact that each agency want you to be familiar with their standards. The skill set is often different - for example, the "fin pivot" wasn't part of her BSAC training, but it's a basic open water skill for PADI. (as I'm sure String will know), Also all the physics, physiology and stuff wasn't part of the BSAC training, and of course the RDP is not taught as BSAC have their own tables.

All great training, just different is all.

Crowley:
for example, the "fin pivot" wasn't part of her BSAC training, but it's a basic open water skill for PADI.

No it's not. I'll send you a dollar if you can find the reference that says it is. :)

Back
Top Bottom