DM Complete!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hepcat62

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I figured I'd post a new thread here to try and prevent the 3/20 Lobos thread from dying under a pile of congratulations. I ASSUME they're coming... right?! :dork2:

Yes - I'm done with my DM. It's been a long few months, and I ultimately ended up getting a lot more out of it than I expected (and in completely different ways than I expected). I'm looking forward to taking a few weeks off, and then getting back to helping more classes!

Regardless of what kind of diving you prefer to do on your own time (I know of lot of us are heading in the broader tec direction, albeit along slightly different trajectories of interest), I really can't state strongly enough how enjoyable and gratifying it is to help brand-new divers get their fins wet, and especially to get them into our waters. It's something that I'd recommend checking out to anybody who's really passionate about diving and wants to share that passion with others. The instructors at my shop (Wallin's) have also been really open to me using my less "traditional" gear in the ocean (depending on the instructor and the students' comfort levels), which makes for a great opportunity to talk about different styles of diving and get new divers thinking about the possibilities that SCUBA can offer.

Thanks to everybody who's ever dove with me, because every dive was a good experience going into DM. Yes, MikeG - that includes the day at Lobos when I had to do the sprint under the kelp with 450psi in the tank. Not only is it (now) a funny story to me, but it makes a great anecdote about why respecting safety margins in gas plans is a Really Important Thing(TM). :)

Congratulations! Now the real training begins!

:dancingsnoopy: Congratulations Brian! :dancingsnoopy:

Congratulations, Hepcat62!

This is really great news! I didn't know that you were in Monterey this past weekend, or I would have said hi.

Let's go diving!

Conga Rats Brian!!!!!​
congarat.gif

Hey Brian,

Truly wish to congratulate you on a fine accomplishment. And I will also never forget taking you out on Lobos and trying to hit middle reef. I was a green horn at the time and leading a trip out was easy, getting back was not as many other divers of Lobos will admit.

The trajectory of heading I took is a lot different when doing a compass heading on surface and then below, because of the movement in position we ended up hitting the rocks.

Although no swell or strong surge, I should have insisted we do a surface swim with regs in mouth, could've prevented that scare we got.

We learned together that day and it makes us a safer diver today. I cannot believe how much we have changed since that day.

I hope to get in a dive with you soon, as for me, I'm more motivated to start my DM now that you have completed yours.

Thanks for the push... :)

MG

Hepcat,

I think I can understand where you are coming from. I dove with a rather new pair of divers this weekend (which, coming from me, means GREEEN) and while it was nice not being the weak link in the group (for once), it was even nicer to see how much fun they were having thanks to me, since their attempts at that particular dive site previously had never ended well.

Congratulations, DM is an accomplishment for anyone. Hope to dive with you when I visit next time.

Peace,
Greg

Brian, just curious now that you are an ever important DM in the training world of newbie divers :) what is your end goal? Do you want to be an instructor or are you going to stop at DM?

I know what you mean about the contagiousness of a new divers enthusiasm. They are fun to dive with after certification too, since everything is still so new and exciting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom