DM candidate equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Ron pointed out, equipment sales are important for a shop's survival, so it just makes sense, over and above the whole thing about minimizing confusion, to tailor your confined water rig with gear that students will see in the shop displays during lunchtime between class/pool sessions. Even if the shop owners don't explicitly tell you to do this They will certainly appreciate it when you do.

My shop informally has a policy of requesting DM/instructors to use gear which can be purchased from the shop. They have several exceptions to the policy.

Overall, it's a good policy. My wife and I do pool work in gear that is similar to the rental gear. In the ocean, we carry some things (sausage, lights, etc) that are not available in the shop.

My wife has a Zeagle Zena with a zipper opening on the chest plate. The shop sells them, but the rental department is all ScubaPro LadyHawks. Her choice is to not wear the Zena when students are in the pool. It makes it easier to demo when the students can relate to the steps.

I use the gear the shop sells in the pool. Open water I'm in my DSS BPW which no one sells around here (except me on occasion when it is what students want). I just bought a zeagle express tech because I like it, the shop sells it, and I got it at just about cost. If a shop requires their DM's, AI's, and Instructors to use the brands the shop sells they owe it to them to give it to them at cost or keyman (whichever is better) or allow them to use the stuff at no charge. Otherwise there is no reason or incentive to do so. A smart owner will see to it that his staff gets the best deals or he/she should not expect them to push what he sells. I am by agency standards forbidden to recommend anything that is not in my students best interests. And that includes what they will have to pay for their gear. If my students will only be diving warm water on vacation a few times a year I will not recommend a top of the line reg or bc regardless of what the shop says. Luckily I work with a shop that feels the same way.

As Hepcat62 wrote, it's best to talk to the instructor you'll be a DMC for and the shop.

That being said, for the two NorCal shops I worked with while teaching/assisting with PADI courses, my experience echo'd those who replied previously. Confined Water (Pool) was shop rental gear. Open Water (Ocean) was personal gear. For us, this BP/W and long hose. Snorkel either in a pocket or strapped to the harness like a back-up light.

Being an active DM in NorCal is a very good experience.

I am the same as the others, Confined water, I use our rental gear, In the ocean(Checkout dives) I use my personal gear, BP/W Drysuit and so forth, That being said though, All of my gear can be and has been bought at My Dive Shop where I work.

I have no need to go anyplace else!

P.S, I know you asked about DM'S, But some shops push the same for Instructors as well, Our shop pushes None!

Hey Don,

Does MoCal count as Norcal? Because if I become a DM it would be for a shop for MoCal. I don't dive the North Coast because no one has invited me out there.... :(

Divemastering is often hard work,long hours and low pay. In saying that its one of the best things I ever done.A novice diver will look at the gear a dm is using and be influenced to buy the same. Dive shops know this and should supply the gear or at least give you a decent discount. Go for it!

However, if I continue to progress towards instructor, I think I will get myself an octo just to make it easier to demonstrate some of the skills.

@rdjiv

As a PADI OWSI an Octo is a mandatory piece of diving equipment. It is requirred for all instructors going into the water with students along with a surface signal device, a whistle and dive knife. If you have an Air2 that's great but an Octo is needed as well.

However, if I continue to progress towards instructor, I think I will get myself an octo just to make it easier to demonstrate some of the skills.

@rdjiv

As a PADI OWSI an Octo is a mandatory piece of diving equipment. It is requirred for all instructors going into the water with students along with a surface signal device, a whistle and dive knife. If you have an Air2 that's great but an Octo is needed as well.

Thanks for the info! I have yet to purchase the Instructor Manual (waiting for the new one) so haven't had a chance to read through it and memorize the standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom