DM candidate equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btroxell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have heard that the dive shops require DMs to use the equipment that the shop sells. How many DMs have been required to buy/use the equipment that the shop carries?
I have toyed with the idea of becoming a DM. I currently use a BP&W but have a vest-style BC I’m thinking of selling. But I don’t want to get rid of it and have to get another one later. So, on average, do DM candidates use ‘standard’ equipment configurations or personalized setups?
Thanks.
Ben

I have heard that the dive shops require DMs to use the equipment that the shop sells. How many DMs have been required to buy/use the equipment that the shop carries?
I have toyed with the idea of becoming a DM. I currently use a BP&W but have a vest-style BC I’m thinking of selling. But I don’t want to get rid of it and have to get another one later. So, on average, do DM candidates use ‘standard’ equipment configurations or personalized setups?
Thanks.
Ben

At the shop I'm training with (Wallin's in San Carlos), we can use the rental equipment while working in the pool or assisting with classes. Having said that, my shop does sell Halcyon BP/W setups, and that's where I bought mine. To me it's a gray area - I want to dive something that looks relevant/relatable/understandable to students, but they also should be exposed to different equipment styles. All of the rental fleet includes Air2 type secondaries, so my setup would expose them to one additional form of air sharing (primary donation).

I think you'll get the best answer by talking to the shop(s) you're considering training with, since it's their opinion that ultimately matters.

I'm using an independent instructor for my DM course.

No gear pressure at all. (At least not from me. "Better" gear is an internal drive.)

i use the shops gear when in the pool (cause its easier to not have to clean mine everytime and they like it) but in the ocean I use my BP/W.

oh and by the way its easier to demonstrate and show how to do things with the *same* gear so you dont confuse the students. Once in the ocean though we start showing gear differences etc.

I asked my dive shop, if I become a DM for him, do I require changing out my gear? He replied that PADI, doesn't have a rule that my BP/W on bungie be excluded from Ocean dives. That as long as I have an Octo which is my 7 ft primary and I use the backup, I will be cleared. (Must carry an snorkel however).

Having said that, I would train in the gear the shop has, makes simplicity to the students. Later progression is up to the students needs and demands, sort of how I made my way to BP/W.

Echoing what others have said, in confined water with OW students I use gear just like the rental stuff most of them are wearing. I even swapped out the Air Source second stage on my Seaquest BC for a standard inflator and added an octo so my rig could be identical to theirs. But want to add that the shop never suggested that I do this to help sales. It's just to minimize confusion for students who are already dealing with enough new stuff.

For OW checkout dives I've used both my conventional setup and my BP/W rig. I always ask the instructor I'm going to work with if he or she has a preference about it. Most of the time the answer is that in OW it doesn't matter.

Congrats on considering a move to the professional side of diving! Having recently finished my DM course, I can offer up some viewpoints from my experience on equipment requirements.

Keep in mind that as a Divemaster, you are a role model for the students. Your gear doesn't necessarily have to be exactly what they are using but should be in excellent condition and look good. The ideal situation is to teach students using gear that is sold in the shop you are representing (if applicable). Obviously, this isn't a requirement. Your instructor will guide you to how he prefers to handle things. I used my ScubaPro Knighthawk with Air2 for all OW sessions (pool and ocean) with no issues. However, if I continue to progress towards instructor, I think I will get myself an octo just to make it easier to demonstrate some of the skills.

From my POV, it shouldn't be an issue if you are only concerned about using your BP/W as many of the students have different BC styles from the rental stock. As said above, its always good to introduce new things to the students. You just don't want to overload them into confusion. Hope this info helps!

That is up to the individual shop. Remember if your shop doesn't sell equipment, they most likely can't stay in business and you've got no place to train new divers. So its beneficial for the new divers to see the gear sold by your shop in use. Thats why they give you that DM discount. :wink:

As a DMC I don't think any shop can make you use a certain type/brand of gear since you are still a student. If they did I would look at another store.
Once you pass your DM course and wish to be employed by that shop it's a different story. That would be a good question to ask before signing up for the course with a store and certainly a question that should be asked if you're going to work for a shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom