Dizzy spells and nausea mid dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fourseventeen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Searched around the site a little bit and didnt really find anything exactly like my issue...

I got my OW cert in Nov 2003. I have done one dive since my 4th and final cert dive. On my final 4th cert dive I got "sea sick" at a depth of about 30' of water (ocean shore/beach dive 30+ foot viz) and was also a little dizzy....like spinning dizzy. No pains or trouble breathing. I also notice that EVERY TIME I ascend I get real dizzy, also...again a spinning out of control dizzy. The dizzy spells usually happen when I am nearing the surface it usually stops once I am on the surface. This even happens when in a 12' pool...as I am about 5' to the surface my head spins for a short time. I am not experienced so I havent really been able to try different things to see if I can stop these issues from happening.

I am thinking this may be an issue with sea sickness since I do get sick usually while on small fishing boats but not on large cruise ships.
My other thought is that it may have to do with my ears not clearing while ascending? I dont feel any pain in my ears on the way up but I to tend to have issues equalizing on descent for the first 20' feet or so.

I do make sure I am breathing in and out equally and completely. I am usually pretty comfortable in the water so I do not get into rapid breathing or any of that. And for the record...I do get dizzy and will loose my lunch on roller coasters or any rides that spin me in circles...including a faster carousel such as the one at Disneyland. :popcorn:

Any advice/help is appreciated. If you need more advice please let me know.

Sounds like you have a problem with vertigo. There are meds that can help but I would suggest you start by seeing an ENT. If there's nothing going on other than vertigo, then medications such as antivert or scopalamine might be helpful.

If you've been on one dive since your cert in 2003, you might also want to check your LDS for a refresher course.

sounds like classic vertigo to me.

It's caused by either a pressure or temperature imbalance from one ear to the other.

Dog's advice to see an ENT is a good starting point. They can tell you if there is some kind of physical abnormality at work.

In terms of diving, My advice to you on the short term would be this:

1) if you're wearing a hood, which you probably are, then once you're under the water pull the hood away from your head and let any air trapped under the hood escape. If one ear is exposed to (colder) water and the other to (warmer) air, then this will create both a pressure and a temperature imbalance, which you want to avoid.

2) Make sure you are clearing your ears often and that clearing is comfortable (don't force it)

3) since you get disorientated during a mid-water ascent (this is quite common in fact--it makes you feel like you're spinning in circles even though you aren't), then try to dive for the moment in locations where you can follow the slope of the bottom all the way to the surface. Having a tactile/visual reference helps.

Good luck.

R..

I also notice that EVERY TIME I ascend I get real dizzy,
This makes alternobaric vertigo highly suspect. See:
Vertigo

Transient vertigo almost always is due to " alternobaric vertigo " due to unequal middle ear pressures during ascent.

My other thought is that it may have to do with my ears not clearing while ascending?

Your suspicion is probably correct. The solution is often to simply equalize during ascents as well as descents. Preferably use passive techniques like swallowing, yawning, jaw thrusts, etc. i.e. there is no need to add pressure to your middle ear during ascent by such techniques as the Valsalva.

Go to an ENT as other have said. My bosses wife has these spells and can get them just sitting at her desk. She has to be very careful when diving as a result.

Is she blonde?

j/k LOL :p

but it was an open door...

R..

This does sound suspiciously like alternobaric vertigo, especially in view of the report of difficulty equalizing on descent as well. An evaluation by a diving-savvy ENT doc might well be worthwhile, but you can also work on ascending more slowly, and chewing or swallowing frequently during ascent. (Do NOT attempt to "equalize" by pressurizing your ears on ascent -- you can blow an eardrum doing that!)

Other strategies to deal with vertigo (and I think I know them all) are to attempt to "drown out" the inaccurate information your brain is getting from your ears with other, valid information. This includes focusing on your buddy, or your gauge, or floating particles in the water. Touching your buddy or an ascent line can be helpful, as well. The books describe hugging yourself, although I've not found that one particularly useful. Try to minimize the movements of your head when you are without a visual reference, as mild vertigo can be converted to severe with excessive head motion.

Vertigo can be extremely dangerous, as with it can come loss of buoyancy control and uncontrolled ascents, so keep any diving you do shallow and conservative until you get this figured out.

BTW, I have been plagued with midwater vertigo through my entire diving career, but I have learned methods to minimize it, and some to cope with it when it occurs. So this is something that can be worked through, and worked with -- it just takes determination.

BTW, I have been plagued with midwater vertigo through my entire diving career, but I have learned methods to minimize it, and some to cope with it when it occurs. So this is something that can be worked through, and worked with -- it just takes determination.

And it can happen to anyone.

My buddy has been really interested in practicing "proper" mid-water ascents the last little while. We've made all kinds of them from 40 metres and shallower just exactly how you would if you're making them during staged decompression dives.

About three weeks ago, however, he swam close to me on one of these ascents and spend the whole time from 18 metres to 6 metres holding my forearm with his hand.

I signed "OK" to him and he signed "OK" back. His eyes looked clear and his breathing looked ok so I just carried on, but he didn't let go of my arm.

Once on the surface he said to me, "man, I spent that whole ascent spinning in circles". I've done I don't know how many dives with this guy and this was the only time he's had that.

From personal experience, I've done a boat-load of dives too and had this happen exactly twice. So even if you don't think it will happen to you, it can.

BTW, Lynne has written some real classics about her problems with vertigo. Some people are clearly more prone than others.

R..

Thanks guys very helpful info. I did see my regular Dr and he said he didnt see any issues (he is not a diver however) My insurance will not cover seeing another Dr though I will look more into it. I was told that on ascent to to find something to focus on such as a reef wall or another object or even to focus on my dive partner as we ascend side by side. im going to try that. I tried to focus on the pool steps last week and that didnt work out for me. I got dizzy but only very very slightly. Fortunately I dont get spooked when I get dizzy...its just uncomfortable. Obviously if I can overcome it I would really like to. My Dr did give me an RX for Transderm Scop (scopalamine patch) so we will see what if anything that helps.

My Dr did give me an RX for Transderm Scop (scopalamine patch) so we will see what if anything that helps.

Assuming your father is a doctor then I have to LOL at the thought that you'd be asking US what to do... LOL

But ok.... on a serious note, I'd like to know how the patch works out for you. I've seen them used a fair amount to combat sea sickness but never for vertigo. It would be interesting to know if it works.

R..

Back
Top Bottom