Dizzy and light headed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were diving for two days in a row on a boat and yes she had tanking some med's but she was feeling the affects 2-3 days afterwards? You would think they would be out of system by then.
@RDRINK25: Which specific med was your wife taking?
A few people have reported persistent vertigo for days/weeks after taking scopolamine (patch or pill) as an anti-seasickness med.

Bonine I think it was called over the canter stuff from CVS.
Hmmm. Then it's unlikely that the med caused the persistent dizziness/lightheadedness.
Bonine = meclizine. As far as I know, meclizine hasn't been associated with the same kind of withdrawal effects as scopolamine.
Oh, well. I still think it was worth asking...

Ah! That sounds like mal de debarquement. Not light-headed/gonna-faint, nor dizzy/spinning, but dizzy/boat's-still-rocking?

Yet another symptom often lumped under dizzy/light-headed.
Didn't know there was a fancy French term for it. Worst was when I was in Quito after 10 days on the Sky Dancer in rather rough waters. The mal de debarquement combined with the altitude sickness and a cup of coca tea (hey, it was available in the lobby!) left me awake all night with my heart pounding, barely able to breathe, and the feeling of the boat rocking whenever my eyes were closed. Next time Guayaquil - I'd rather risk the yellow fever and malaria.

BTW, one does not have to be a member of DAN to ask for their helps. It is a very good idea to be a member with their dive insurance sure, I'd say essential, but anyone can call for help. My non-diving family did last week and got great advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom