DIY version of the sola 2100 FS video light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you just recent ordered your holofilter raftingtigger, what price did they quote you for your diffuser film and what angle did you choose? They just quoted me $35 per 10"x10" sheet (am confirming if shipping costs more). Just wondering if different people are quoting different prices.

I'm leaning towards trying the holofilter option first cause I believe uniformity is very important in video lighting. Johnohuk said earlier though that he noticed a bright spot in his videos using the holofilter even though he didn't see one with his naked eye.

So if the holofilter doesn't work out, I'm going to try moving the leds closer to the front of the light like he did (but that's a little more work).

Johnohuk mentioned a diffuser, not necessarily a holographic diffuser. If the holographic diffuser covers the entire front of the light then you won't get a hot spot. If it doesn't, then some light focused by the reflector will get past the diffuser and show up as a hot spot.

---------- Post added April 7th, 2014 at 04:12 PM ----------

3Ddiver is my supplier.

BTW: I have donated samples of my holographic diffuser to several SB members, including raftingtigger. But, having given away more than half of my sheet, I want to retain the rest for my own use.

---------- Post added April 7th, 2014 at 04:18 PM ----------

Lucky. Well $35 isn't too bad though if I end up having to try something else later, the costs may add up. Good learning experience anyway.

When they sent my sample, the paperwork indicated they'd paid about $25 to ship it. It was in a plastic sleeve with a rigid protective sheet then packed in cardboard---definitely overkill. If the shipping cost they quote is too high you might ask whether a simpler envelope is an option. The sheet is delicate, but not that delicate.

I think there are enough people interested in the holographic filter material that we can do a group buy and distribute out the needed amounts. Anyone want to lead this?

---------- Post added April 8th, 2014 at 07:31 PM ----------

3Ddiver, where did you get the holographic diffuser from and what angle did you choose?

Those guys at WaveFront still haven't emailed me back on shipping costs so I left them a voicemail.

Seems like not much interest in a joint bulk purchase so far. If interests grows, I'm in and could lead. I think half a sheet will do for me for now.

Great Thread - Very helpful

Just received an Archon D11V for about $50. Seems up be solidly built and has a very bright and even output. Much brighter than my simple yellow $12 ones. It uses a white reflector. I haven't waterproof tested it yet. I'll post some beam shots soon

I finally got to order a 10"x10" TMD film at 90 degree angle from Wavefront for $35 total including shipping within the continental US. Theoretically should receive it by the end of next week.

It was pure hell working with Wavefront - maybe the next person will have better luck.

FYI, they kept telling me their 90 degree film (largest angle I could get) was more like 60-80 degree just as a warning to others (seemed like they didn't even want me to buy from them). Still, I'd be using two lights at a time so hopefully the small dispersion angle will be ok. Will post back photos after I've got my film - already got lights and batteries.

I can only recommend the Archon D11V's. They are west-designed lights. Here in Denmark they are sold in diving shops (at 190USD incl charger and battery, gift box, under the name Archon W17V, but confirmed to be the same by Archon) and they get very few returns.

Do you know how long the battery lasts with the archon lights?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom