DIY version of the sola 2100 FS video light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No vignetting. All my videos are done using these lights.

Thanks Cheryl - wow considering the viz ain't that great - the video looks pretty good!

Last night i got one of my defunct flashlight builds and sanded back the reflector.
(you have to go through a fair bit of what looks like copper to get back to aluminium, but it doesn't take long)

The light that came out of it was as even as a raw LED, no hot spots, and quite a bit brighter.

sooo....i have ordered one of the singfire <$20 jobbies and once it arrives, i'll test it and post some footage.

Cya in a month or two...

.i have ordered one of the singfire <$20 jobbies and once it arrives, i'll test it and post some footage.

Make SURE you get the front retaining ring back on TIGHT. Then test in water (a pressure pot is even better) without the battery installed. I had it come a little loose and got a smidgen of water inside. Doesn't look like any damage was done, but that spot has a single o-ring. Everything else on the light has double or triple o-rings.

Make SURE you get the front retaining ring back on TIGHT.

Thanks - yeah -

I have one of these as a backup dive light - I have replaced the crap silicon o-rings with nitrile.

also - real-world dive pressure sees the front become a bit loose - if you tighten it underwater it'll never come off ;-) (even if you want it to!)

cheers,

Results of my dry land light tests. I ran my GoPro and took video of the different lights, then pulled out screen shots. It isn't perfect, since the camera is adjusting the exposure. OTHO they are video lights so seeing how the GoPro sees things is probably the best anyway.

Lights tested are the $12 yellow light from China with a white painted reflector and a silver dulled reflector, the Singfire with a holographic filter, and a Sola 1200 for grins and giggles.
flood white.jpgflood silver.jpgflood holo singfire -0.jpgflood sola -0.jpg
It doesn't show in the pictures but the Sola is orders of magnitude brighter. Check the picture grain. Also since I know the Singfire is considerably brighter than the yellow light IMHO the most efficient flood mod is:

1. Sanding the reflector. This does leave a weak hotspot
2. Using a holographic filter. This leaves no hotspot
3. Painting the reflector white. This leaves no hotspot

For spot lights I tested the DRIS 1000, DGX600, Singfire, and the Sola 1200
spot DRIS 1000.jpgspot DGX600.jpgspot singfire -0.jpgspot sola -0.jpg
The DRIS and Singfire are nearly equal. The DGX has a denser hotpot. And again the Sola is in another class.

Thanks so much raftingtigger.

My light just arrived. I'll post up some pictures as well when I'm done with my mod too (it'll be a little while though cause I'm in the process of moving).

So silver paint works better than matte white? What kind of paint is that? Do you have pictures?

So silver paint works better than matte white? What kind of paint is that? Do you have pictures?

Sanding the reflector might be best, but it is non-reversable. Paint MIGHT be reversable. I used "FolkAir 662 Metallic Silver Sterling" Acrylic paint from Michael's Arts and Crafts.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 04:29 PM ----------

Indoor, non-night test of my 2 Singfires. One is with the holographic filter, the other with a silver painted filter (you have to sand it first or the paint doesn't stick). The holo filter is a more even light with a fuzzy edge, the painted has a sharp outer edge with a weak hotspot. By eyeball the holo filter has a bluer (whiter) light than the painted filter. Over all I like the holo filter better.

A note on the Singfires. The glue holding the module in correct alignment is poor. I mis-aligned the 2nd light just by unscrewing the front off with the battery in. I'm getting good at re-aligning them. Put a spot of paint on the module (not the emitter leads - they rotate) and on the inside of the head as alignment marks.

I have ordered what I hope is a compatible replacement reflector for the Singfire. http://kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S009276 This way I can have both my Singfires with the holo filter (since I have sanded/painted one)

If you just recent ordered your holofilter raftingtigger, what price did they quote you for your diffuser film and what angle did you choose? They just quoted me $35 per 10"x10" sheet (am confirming if shipping costs more). Just wondering if different people are quoting different prices.

I'm leaning towards trying the holofilter option first cause I believe uniformity is very important in video lighting. Johnohuk said earlier though that he noticed a bright spot in his videos using the holofilter even though he didn't see one with his naked eye.

So if the holofilter doesn't work out, I'm going to try moving the leds closer to the front of the light like he did (but that's a little more work).

If you just recent ordered your holofilter raftingtigger, what price did they quote you for your diffuser film and what angle did you choose? They just quoted me $35 per 10"x10" sheet (am confirming if shipping costs more). Just wondering if different people are quoting different prices.

3Ddiver is my supplier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom