DIY Single Tank Adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the point of going with a commercial type of harness?

The aluminum plate you apparently bought from DGE should meet all your needs regarding weight.

Yes, at first I am looking for a BP with Built-In STA so I can ditch the heavy SS STA, somehow it took a turn into Commercial Harness.. :D

Yuri the lightest you are going to get is a fabric plate with plastic cam bands and plastic or aluminium hardware. The Golem Steam is about the same weight as an aluminium plate because it is made out of steel. I am not sure of the weight of the VDH plate, you would need to contact them or Luis (he designed it).

Yes, will do more research and weight calculation then.. I'm still preferring a Metal BP to a Fabric one, but will look more into it.. As for the plastic cam band and plastic/AL hardware, will look into it too..
I guess I'm looking for the Lightest BP/W setup here, if it is even possible.. (I will mainly use Weight Belt for weight purpose, maybe add some Weight Pockets too)

Thank you for all your help, really learned a lot of things from you guys.. :)

Yuri, you may be overthinking this. I just put my STA on a kitchen scale and it registered at less than one pound (less than 1/2 kilo). Remember the DGX people said a STA was not really necessary, so why don't you dive it with and without the STA to see if one is really needed. Another idea is to go to a metal working shop and ask them to cut the center of the STA away, effectively turning your 1 piece adaptor into a 2 piece one.

Yes, been thinking about that too.. Seen the 2 pieces few days ago.. I guess I'll try to cut the STA and BP and maybe cut some holes (like the Dive Rite Lite SS BP, or maybe even make it like the Golem Streamer/ Oxycheq Travel SS) into them to lessen the weight even more..
I guess your're right, I'm really overthinking this.. Got a bit too sucked up on Dive Gear lately.. :)

I am curious about a backplate with a built in STA. I don't think I have ever seen one.

Well that's not entirely true.

I have this that I got from my father.

CAM01140.jpg

CAM01141.jpg

Yes, been thinking about that too.. Seen the 2 pieces few days ago.. I guess I'll try to cut the STA and BP and maybe cut some holes (like the Dive Rite Lite SS BP, or maybe even make it like the Golem Streamer/ Oxycheq Travel SS) into them to lessen the weight even more..
I guess your're right, I'm really overthinking this.. Got a bit too sucked up on Dive Gear lately.. :)

I am not an expert in metal working. My understanding is that it is much easier to work with aluminum than with stainless steel. Also you need to realize that once the cut is made you need a way to smooth the edges.

---------- Post added March 14th, 2015 at 05:15 PM ----------

I am curious about a backplate with a built in STA. I don't think I have ever seen one.

They were never really popular but were more common over a decade ago before building STAs in wings became common. They were sometimes called reverse bend plates because the channel was on the back of the plate. Their main drawbacks were: 1) They can only be used for single tanks. 2) It required the wing to have slots. 3) It sometimes interfered with the built in STA of the wings. Once wings started integrating STAs in the design the purpose of the plate was lost. It is sort of a diving evolutionary dead-end.

Which Wing have integrated STA feature..?

Most do with the exception of Halcyon, Light Monkey, DRIS, (these wings need an STA because there are no slots in the wing) and the older Apeks WTX wing plus your Dive Rite (these have slots but no STA).

Hello,

I found these :

MK-21 INTERGRATED DIVE VEST - LARGE
MILLER DIVING BELL/BACKPACK - LARGE
MILLER DIVING BELL/BACKPACK - XL

I know that it might be way overkill, but for the price of it, I guess it's a good deal?
What I want to ask now is what size should I use? I looked around and haven't found any size chart yet.
I'm 178 cm tall and weigh 105 kg, will the Large one fit me just fine or do I need an XL?

I have never seen prices that low for new harnesses anywhere! The first one you listed is adjustable, has cam bands, weight pouches and is cheaper then the Miller harnesses. The only minor draw back is that it is 12lbs vs 7lbs for the Millers but all you need to add is a wing and you are done. It also solves a problem I hear a lot of BP/W users have, a way to integrate some of your weights like you can on a jacket BCD. I would jump on that deal before it goes away. I think you would be fine with a large that is adjustable, if you go with the Miller maybe an XL would be better.

---------- Post added March 15th, 2015 at 08:52 AM ----------

What is the backplate made out of? Do you know of any sites that have a template of one that Yuri can use as a pattern?

The closest thing I could compare that material to would be a poly belted tire but it is thiner and much more flexible. It has a heavy duty fiber mesh sandwiched inside about 1/4" of rubber, this is also the same material they use to make their heavy weight belts. If you go on their web site you can see an end view of the material on the heavy belt. I would suggest you contact Atlantic Diving Equipment for a more precise answer. Atlantic Diving Equipment - Commercial Dive Harnesses

---------- Post added March 15th, 2015 at 09:11 AM ----------

Do you know of any sites that have a template of one that Yuri can use as a pattern?

The template is not a problem, finding the right material is the issue. But the MK-21 harness he found is only $69.99 so by the time you are all in on the cost of making your own I do not think you would be saving much if anything. Northeast Scuba Supply must be dumping these at or below cost because they can't sell them. This is a better description of the harness from Atlantic's web site. Atlantic Diving Equipment - Backpacks

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom