DIY Scuba Tank Rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually was working on pricing/making about 5-6 racks just to see how much it costs to make em, how much time, etc, but I have my first CNC machine mechanical failure. I've ordered new parts and am awaiting them so i can finish making the racks. So, not so good timing on the CNC machine to be down, but oh well.

I had re-designed as twin tanks, with 8.5 inch distance on centers (so that dual tank yoke connectors ~should fit) and was cutting a bunch out. I cut out around 3 i'd say and then i had some issues on my cnc, as stated above.

Once i'm back up and running i'll post pics of the new rack and post prices if i decide it's viable to make them.

I'll jump on board and say that looks nice. I'd say a couple of options would be good. For me, stackable 2x2 would be good, or 3 side by side, as you have the design now.

I'd bet if you can get the cost down to about $40-50 for a "standard" like what you've made, you probably wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. Beyond that, things like stackable options and twins etc, I'd suggest people might be willing to pay a bit more.

Making them from cabinet-grade ply isn't really necessary, but it sure makes them look nice. I am just about to make one out of some scrap cabinet ply I have left over from another project, but I suspect it won't look as nice as yours.

Very impressive. Mine is four 2 foot PVC pipes with string connecting them, looks like a ladder. Cost about $6.

Same here, but with the pool noodles around the pvc.

i am inspired by your achievements.....i have dependents and a full time job. conquests of this scale are pipe dreams until i can get this youngin off to college...

Ok, I finally finished making a few sets, I've attached the pics below. They ended up taking a lot more effort then I thought... oh well. I made it so you can stack them, but there is an extra piece to make em stackable. Works pretty well, I might make a few more changes, but the initial ones I made in the pics are pretty nice really.

For a single rack, which holds 2 tanks, i'd sell it for $50, unpainted. The vertical stacker would cost $10 extra, the horizontal lock's would be included if you bought 2 racks.

If i don't sell any, i've got plenty of racks for the rest of my life :) eheh If anyone is seriously interested, PM me, and if you're not 100% happy, send them back i'll give 100% refund minus shipping costs. (within 30 days) I'm not going to inflate shipping either, whatever I pay will be added to the $50 price. I'm guessing it would be about $10, maybe $15 because of box size.

Attachments

• 20101013-104258.jpg
    20101013-104258.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 716
  • 20101013-104309.jpg
    20101013-104309.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 377
  • 20101013-104320.jpg
    20101013-104320.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 20101013-104245.jpg
    20101013-104245.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 20101013-104223.jpg
    20101013-104223.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
DUDE! That looks awesome. I'll have to shake the money tree and see if anything falls out.

Payment sent by PayPal. I will let you know how it looks when I get it here. Looks GREAT from the pics. I ordered the vertical stack kit so I can store 4 tanks.

Back
Top Bottom