DIY S600 "seat saver" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, all I want from a seat is two years of lifetime.
I get 2 years out of home punched seats in unbalanced downstream seconds.... In a balanced second, the spring pressure is lighter and therefore should take longer to cause a set. Of course, my advice is always worth what you paid for it!

Respectfully,

James

This is what I use. Not pretty, but works. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8640.jpg
    IMG_8640.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8641.jpg
    IMG_8641.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 54
Personally, all I want from a seat is two years of lifetime. So my main question is if we are getting this without seat saver (and I'l assume with seat saver the seat can be stored indefinetely)?
Ok, I have to revise: I got used to seat savers (Atomic in my case), and it's sooo nice when the seats last beyond two years... :)

Great idea! Could you also use a piece of aluminum sheet bent to provide the exact depression desired?

I often wondered if springs kept in a more compressed state would potentially fatigue earlier from these kind of seat saving solutions? But since spring fatigue seems rare even in old regs, perhaps the range used is not critical, and same should go for seat savers?

Personally, all I want from a seat is two years of lifetime. So my main question is if we are getting this without seat saver (and I'l assume with seat saver the seat can be stored indefinetely)?
Fatigue comes with action, not with static compression....

Fatigue comes with action, not with static compression....
For common elastic materials, springs and silion seats alike? I know you have tons of experience on this, so I'll take your word for it. It's just that I observed an indentation in seats on my balanced Scubapros from just storage of a few weeks, vs no trace of anything with a seat saver (G500 and Atomic)...

Perhaps what it looks like (circular indentation) is less important than how it performs? And what I am seeing might be the initial set that I would get by cycling the reg more (on the Scubapros, the Atomic seats don't seem to change at all over short periods).

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "seat saving purge"? I thought only Atomics had this kind of "tech".
Even old Scubapro metal regs had a "key" that depressed the purge buttons. Sherwood has been making regs a long time and had a purge button that could be lokcked in depressed state. G250V and G260 I think as well. The G500 had an automatic function where the orifice was only in contact when pressurized, and Atomic simplified this into a very elegant solution that is easy to service.

They all try to prolong seat life, as through use (and I always thought storage as well) the seat gets compressed, forming an indentation where the orifice is in contact. The 2nd stage then leaks, which can be adjusted to an extent, but eventually the specified cracking pressure can not be achieved unless a new seat is installed. The seat saving tricks (inlcuidng the DIY solutions in this thread) extend that service interval.

For common elastic materials, springs and silion seats alike? I know you have tons of experience on this, so I'll take your word for it. It's just that I observed an indentation in seats on my balanced Scubapros from just storage of a few weeks, vs no trace of anything with a seat saver (G500 and Atomic)...

Perhaps what it looks like (circular indentation) is less important than how it performs? And what I am seeing might be the initial set that I would get by cycling the reg more (on the Scubapros, the Atomic seats don't seem to change at all over short periods).
I believe Angelo was referring to your question about the purge depressors fatiguing the springs due to prolonged compression.

respectfully,

James

Indentation is not fatigue.
It happens in materials stressed beyond the plasticity limit causing permanent deformation.
But a steel spring is never stressed to the elasticity limit, it operates well within its linear elastic range.
Hence a permanent compression does not cause any harm to the spring.
Instead a continuos variation of compression (like in the suspension of a car), on long term, causes fatigue, which weakens the steel structure, possibly creating cracks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom