DIY regulator test/flow panel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since we're all sharing, here's the traveling tuning kit my son made (with a little input) prior to heading off to IDC. It all fits in a Husky tool box, and he carried nipples out to one side to attach to the first stage on 300psi and 3000psi tanks for tuning. In the lower left corner, he's built in a little precision test pump to measure cracking effort, a la Regulator test rig you don't need to suck.
In the center is a hardware store regulator that ends in a scuba hose thread to attach second stages, that is adjustable to any desired IP. He uses an old Conshelf XII overtuned to 160psi to supply the adjustable regulator from a nipple on the lower left edge of the case.
He spent days sanding and varnishing the inset panels that make his work surface. I have to admit, it's compact! Wish I had that much leisure time! I guess there are a few benefits to the COVID lockdown. The lucky guy just finished two weeks and 57 day and night boat dives in Key Largo! We had some long talks about ascent profiles since he was packing in that much diving. He paid for 2 weeks of unlimited boat dives. I guess he got his money's worth!
IDC starts next week.
View attachment 598936

Dang, that is pretty! Tip-o-the-hat to your son.

I finally got my gauge set box together after an insane amount of time finding just the right housing for me. It is not a show-piece like Rob's son's, but I think it will work well for my needs. I put in a vac box in it too since I had room. (Vac-build here: Regulator test rig you don't need to suck.)

SoLG8L9UuY5dKM9xQDAd4vDr_A9786nYyoUdzEycP8kAhn9QQzFL5GfvJBE8P_pmriH8-eKFaG1Tnf-Bi=w2052-h1403-no.jpg

I wanted it to be able to fit in a tool box that can house all of my other reg-servicing tools. I picked up a 2-drawer Craftsman box with a deep top bay to use for the purpose (it also fits the 3-drawer shallower-topped version with a little persuasion): The gauge-box mounts to the toolbox lid with 4 magnets, and the lid drops down to nestle perfectly in the top bay, holding the toolbox lid firmly open.
aVbTORCTQNCb8ID3qzeIRQbD6ogorXYqF6273DYv9DboDgrmBwyB23-lFpDisP0q8DCKo9Iv6-Vui28CR=w1339-h1403-no.jpg

Closed up - holds the air-lines connected, the vac USB power brick, even an extra BCD hose in case I'm servicing an inflator-hose-less reg.
2t7st5395-0ULCd7DqUm0bLw5UVkqoEBTamGqqJxa-e-Wp5owinbgQdYXpyYtoK2ZAggYsAKMZSHzi6Ee=w2383-h1403-no.jpg

And then it drops down into the top bay for transport leaving plenty of room for extras:
OnMRN7UzHOoen9Jht4ezV6xf-89Hm_UBo4ai2hXbOYXg6kQB5n51t3Bu0jFCxkyDgCNFqv8aGwsGQOMHW=w2809-h1208-no.jpg

The lucky guy just finished two weeks and 57 day and night boat dives in Key Largo! We had some long talks about ascent profiles since he was packing in that much diving. He paid for 2 weeks of unlimited boat dives. I guess he got his money's worth!
IDC starts next week.
Off topic, I know. But I'm a proud Dad.
:toot:
Doug finished IDC a couple weeks ago, and aced his IE. By sheer chance, we were in Key Largo together, as I was starting some training of my own. Now he's making his new home in the Keys, the lucky dog! My CCR instructor was kind enough to let him accompany us on two training dives in the Spiegel Grove. His technique impressed my instructor enough that I think he's going to hire him, traveling test panel in hand, lol!
IMG_5503.jpg

After he and I got to dive together on the Spiegel, he and a dive buddy made this little 55 sec. video of finding the treasured Snoopy medallion that was the ship's mascot. I just have to share. :D
Sorry for the hijack!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom