DIY POCKETS?? save me $$$$$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the dive-rite strap-on pockets, and don't like them. They move around and don't stay put, and the vertical strap that attaches to the waiststrap makes donning and doffing the BP/W a hassle. In the picture on the package, it shows a plastic buckle on the vertical strap but mine don't have them.

I'm thinking about cutting all the straps off of them, and glueing them to my drysuit with aquaseal.

-Tiny-B.

Green_Manelishi:
Have you tried using bicycling shorts?

I hadn't thought of trying that... Most are made of what, Lycra? Can you put sealant on lycra? I was going to seal and then sew with some nylon thread for extra strength. I'll check the local bike shop and see what they've got as soon as I have an afternoon off.

Tiny Bubbles:
I have the dive-rite strap-on pockets, and don't like them. They move around and don't stay put, and the vertical strap that attaches to the waiststrap makes donning and doffing the BP/W a hassle.

That's what I've heard about those pockets in the past, which is why I'm looking at something short based; Just pull it on when I put my wetsuit on and I'm good to go. I'm wary of gluing pockets to my suit because I can't find much info on using seal cement over the nylon covering, and I don't really want to poke holes in my suit by sewing pockets on.

I don't know but here is what I think you could do:

1) glue the pockets to a "larger than the pocket" sheet of neoprene or nylon
2) sew around the edges and fasten it to the shorts

You could also try sierra trading post to see what they have on closeout.

G_M

DarkFrog:
I hadn't thought of trying that... Most are made of what, Lycra? Can you put sealant on lycra? I was going to seal and then sew with some nylon thread for extra strength. I'll check the local bike shop and see what they've got as soon as I have an afternoon off.

That's what I've heard about those pockets in the past, which is why I'm looking at something short based; Just pull it on when I put my wetsuit on and I'm good to go. I'm wary of gluing pockets to my suit because I can't find much info on using seal cement over the nylon covering, and I don't really want to poke holes in my suit by sewing pockets on.

DarkFrog:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why do you have to seal them? I believe the poster was going to pull them on over the wetsuit, like x-shorts?

I've thought about using a plain old pair of cotton cargo pants cut-off to shorts, pulled on over my wetsuit, but the lycra shorts w/ cargo pockets sounds a lot better.

Have you considered using some oversized BDU's and cutting them off to the length you require? They're pretty rugged, adjustable, come in a wide range of sizes, and they have some good sized cargo pockets on them.

Has anyone tried the Oxycheq X-pocket? The dimensions sound pretty darn big, and like the DiveRite, I'm wondering if the strap going up to the harness would be a pain. If anyone has these, do they stay in place with only the thigh strap secured?

Jim

Back
Top Bottom