Diy Mask Defogger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jay515

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay I know re: spit and/not at the same time, toothpaste or baby shampoo mixed with alcohol or water. But what about this? I have a huge bottle of sodium lauryl sulfate. I have made my own declogger for playing the recorder (an instrument). The declogger works by turning the drops of condensation into sheets.
I believe it's chemically surfectant and it is maybe what is useful in baby shampoo and toothpaste, not sure.
Anyway i think I'd mix with distilled water and put in a pump sprayer. I'd have a nice cheap little product .

I'm curious if anybody has ever tried this? I suppose if it doesn't work, no harm as I have spit on me available 24/7.

(if it works I could set up shop in the Keys. LOL)

Though I've always rinsed first.

I use SDS in the lab (PhD student), and it does cause skin and respiratory irritation, but it also needs to be of really high concentration to cause this effect, and it foams up upon hydration so it's easy to know when it's all gone.

My responsible answer would be don't put it naer your eyes, but it's very unlikely you've harmed yourself without knowing about it (it would burn).
.Just use spit and toothpaste, clear in the water when necessary. I've never had a problem.

I carry a sports squeeze bottle in my dive gear bag filled with 25% Johnson's No More Tears baby shampoo/75% water. It's cheap. It works great as suit lube for sliding my wetsuit on easier. It works great for mask anti-fog. And if I don't get it all rinsed out before putting my mask on, I don't end up with burning eyes while I'm diving....

i don't even mix the johnson's baby shampoo. I just put a drop in each lens, spread it, rinse, done!

I have a ready supply of mask defogger available at all times. Spit, rinse and dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom