DIY macro lens for gopro or intova hd cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Don't know much about optics, but I've seen DIY macro lenses for digital still cameras. Any thoughts?

It's real DIY, so you can fit it everywhere.

Before:
sku_47545_11.jpg

After:
P5080002.jpgP5080006.jpgP5080007.jpg

There is a seller on ebay that sells custom lenses fro the gopro (the actual lens, you swap out the lens on the camera), including macro, this provides the best quality close-up. Dont forget that an add-on lens will lower your cameras light sensitivity by at least one stop (in half) so this does affect the quality of the video once you are deeper... But a good budget solution is to stop by your local camera store, have your gopro running and try out different lenses before you buy. I had and old sony camcorder macro lens that works fine, lower exposition notwithstanding. Unfortunately no model number on it...

How do they mount? Glue?

I'm a photographer and have those lenses and would highly recommend NOT getting them. They are cheap universal type that will lower you light sensitivity by at least a stop (not good for underwater) and the optics are horrible and don't give very good pictures. Just my opinion.

I'm a photographer and have those lenses and would highly recommend NOT getting them. They are cheap universal type that will lower you light sensitivity by at least a stop (not good for underwater) and the optics are horrible and don't give very good pictures. Just my opinion.

Thanks for you opinion. Do you have any alternative ideas? Also, I can understand for photography they might not be good, do you think they might be OK for video? My needs are purely for documentation, I have no interest in becoming a pro, or making my vids look like a pros.

I would suggest you try the addon lenses at the store and see if you like the result. you can even experiment with reading glasses.
check youtube for macro lens gopro

I would say if you dont mind them (vid or pix) being super great quality, then their ok. But they would be better near the suface in decent vis then a little lower where you start to loose light and sometimes vis. I dont really have any alternative ideas unless they make just that lense for that camera. Otherwise you could try them, just dont expect them to work as well as a dedicated lense for that camera...if your ok with that, then go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom