DIY Light Arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't but it's in the works. (attempting to build lights and arms) Current plan is a flexible (jointed, ball and socket) tubing. It snaps together and is frequently used for industrial parts washers. It's quite stiff to move (will stay in place with a nozzle on the end with liquid at fairly good pressure) and various end fittings are available. Current thought is to connect the battery cannister to the lighthead(s) using this tubing and appropriate end fittings and run the wiring up the tubing.
If/when I get it assembled, will post details in DIY forum and a link in this forum. I have seen similar arms and no reason it could not be used without the wires up the center. It's available around here anyplace that sell industrial hose.

I made mine from the same stuff Groundhog was talking about. It's called the Loc-Line Modular System After I installed them on the housing I covered each arm with some of the soft foam rubber bicycle hand grips. The DIY lights are mounted to the ends by epoxying a long SS bolt to the light and then attaching it to one of the sockets with a nut and washer. the battery canister is attached to the bottom of the housing.

You can check out a few more pictures of the housing and lights on my DIY Site

Man you guys are industrious! How does the Loc-Line maintain it's shape? What size would be right for a light canon (that's what I use for lights) ? 3/4 in.?
I've been thinking about using a grip style tripod ball-head mounted to the tray on the bottom and the light on top. I wonder how those would take the water? Probably rust inside pretty fast! Another idea is using a regular tripod ball-head.

Mark

I have some of the Loc-Line that should be delivered today. I intend to use it for a stobe . Here is a link to the plans I am using. All the materials except the screws and nuts are around $20 for a 12 in arm. The only thing I see wrong with the plans are, the hardware he uses appears to be plated steel instead of SS. The plans are the 3rd selection down. It is an Adobe file so it takes several minutes to download...why the pink backround color I will never know. http://www.digitaldiver.net/library.php

Here is a link to the place where I purchased the Loc Link. I ordered on line on Sun night and got a UPS email with tracking number the next day so it appears their service is great. After I get it built, I will post some pictues. http://www.modularhose.com/

Simple, yet functional. The best kind of design. Will the lights be far enough off center to reduce backscatter though? I was figuring on making arms at least about 18". (Of course, water conditions may be better where you dive and backscatter less of an issue).
Let us know how it works when you get it in the water.

I was in Coz last month and shot video (night) with a single light cannon attached under the tray. Although the light position was not good - the backscatter wasn't bad. I'm going back in March. We'll see how it works.
Now if B&H would just ship me my red filter......

Mark

Back
Top Bottom