Diy Light, 800 Lumen, 4 Power Levels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayne-
I read somewhere that you can wire the MT-4 for a Maglite 6D. That would have twice the voltage as a 3D. What do you do different with the MT-4 to handle the extra voltage?
-Brad

Wayne-
I read somewhere that you can wire the MT-4 for a Maglite 6D. That would have twice the voltage as a 3D. What do you do different with the MT-4 to handle the extra voltage?
-Brad
Two pairs of two in series. Nominal 7.2V. The nice thing about this is that the overall amperage pull is about 2A. Four LEDs wired in parallel at 3.6V and 4 amps is 14.4W, and two pairs of LEDs in series is also 14.4W. But using 6D cells will double your run time, and if you use 12,000mAh D cells, that would be around 6 hours continuous runtime of 800 approximate lumens.

Wayne

Had about 15 minutes in a dark pool tonight (no light other than the dive lights), and I took this beam shot @ 4'. Miniwave on the left, MT-4 Maglite on the right. You can see the MT-4 spill pattern in the lower center of the pic. Camera batteries died so I couldn't take any more pics, but it really lit up the pool @ 25' -30'.

Attachments

• cade bday 005.jpg
    cade bday 005.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 126
Bradsab:

I can hardly wait for your trip report and how the light did in Bonaire.

Your light makes me want to try something similar.

DrDuktayp

We're back from Bonaire (unfortunately:() and the light performed flawlessly. I took it with me on seven dives, day and night. Max depth was 110' fsw, never a hint of a leak.

There was definitely better penetration with the MT-4 Maglite than the Miniwave. The hot spot would pierce dark water maybe 75'? (Daytime vis was at least 80'). This was my first night dive, and it's hard for me to judge distance underwater at night. We dove a double reef in the afternoon, then went back to the same site that night. There was about 150' - 200' between the reefs, and swimming out to the second reef I figured the MT-4 started picking up the reef about half way across. For close up, though, the hot spot was distracting, just wasn't the even beam pattern of the Miniwave.

In daylight, the Miniwave gets washed out, but the hot spot of the Maglite still lit things up to show more color. It was also great for lighting up holes from a distance, so I didn't have to swim over to get a close look to see if something was in there. It also did a much better job penetrating deep inside the Hilma Hooker, a 235' cargo ship sitting @100' depth.

At night, I used the MT-4 on power level two for most of the time, only occasionally turning it up to level four, like when crossing between the reefs. Otherwise, level four was too intense for close viewing.

An explanation of the attached pics:

Pic #1 is a daytime shot with the camera flash disabled, showing the hot spot in full sunlit 80' plus visibility.

#2 is a blurry night shot with the camera's flash disabled; the hotspot is about 15-20 feet away @ power level 4.

Pics 3-6 are night shots taken with a compact point-and-shoot Cannon 550SD and no external strobe. The internal flash was enough to wash out the MT-4 hot spot (power level two), and the camera, of course, needed the Maglite to focus.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the modified Maglite. I kept it clipped to my BC with an Aries retractor. It is bulky; the Miniwave wins hands down for size. One of the reasons I built the MT-4 Maglite is now I keep it in my truck; it makes a great tactical light. Thanks again to all who gave me tips on this project. Now I have to start planning a trip back to Bonaire...

Attachments

• piceye 055_edited.jpg
    piceye 055_edited.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 76
  • piceye 101_edited.jpg
    piceye 101_edited.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 77
  • piceye 104_edited.jpg
    piceye 104_edited.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 65
  • piceye 111_edited.jpg
    piceye 111_edited.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 72
  • piceye 110_edited.jpg
    piceye 110_edited.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 57
  • piceye 103_edited.jpg
    piceye 103_edited.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 57
That's pretty awesome pics. I really appreciate the photos. It's neat to see the light engine I made used in such a way. The reed switch idea I've thought about for a long time, but never did it. After seeing this work by you, I have been inspired to follow through making a few designs of dive lights. I'm not sure where to post about such activity, as I do not want to appear as inappropriately plugging for products to sell .

Wayne

If it is a DIY project then you are fine, and possibly even asking divers what they might be looking for in a dive light, but once the product is finished and available, I dont believe you can post it without being a sponsor. (mod will have to verify)

Brad, if you have it available, i would be interested in a cost breakdown......Im looking to make it with an old Mag lite that I have.

If it is a DIY project then you are fine, and possibly even asking divers what they might be looking for in a dive light, but once the product is finished and available, I dont believe you can post it without being a sponsor. (mod will have to verify)

Okay, I'll look into the rules. I'm not really in the DIY category, as I'm a manufacturer. Probably need to go the sponsor route.

Thanks,
Wayne

Wayne,

I posted this on CPF but thought some folks here may be interested too.

Are you going to make some heat sinks for the SSC P7? I'd be interested if you are, I think that's gonna make one sweet light if I cna find a way to heat sink it and drive it. Around here I want a tighter pattern than a multi-emmitter head really offers, and this seems like the ticket.

Thanks!

Jake

Back
Top Bottom