DIY - how to convert a Basic Harness to Deluxe Harness ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the simplicity of that, but in the case of a shoulder quick release wouldn't it mean an unsecured end on a load bearing strap?

Nays

It's what's used to connect a scooter-bearing crotch strap. Anyway, you don't have to cut the shoulder strap to add a "quick-release".

Hi

I just got my first backplate & harness bcd and i very excited about it that i am thinking of a DIY project of converting my basic harness to deluxe harness.

would you assist me with any ideas or tips ? my main target is ti install a shoulder buckle for easy mounting.

Dive Rite Basic Harness System

Dive Rite Deluxe Harness Systems

I design, manufacture and "fit" back plates and wings for my customers.

I've done it 1000's of times.

A huge percentage of my customers are either newer divers, or brand new to a back plate and wing.

They all have had some experience with Jacket / vest BC's

It is *very* common for divers with experience with conventional BC's to assume they will need some sort of quick release to be able to don and doff a BP&W.

This springs from the way the typical jacket / vest BC is used. They are typically worn with the harness very snug, usually in an effort to keep the tank from flopping around, and or to keep the bc from crawling up on the diver at the surface.

The usual drill is to adjust the harness to max, but on the jacket BC and pull hard to tighten the shoulder straps. The tank still flops, given that there is nothing but fabric between the tank and the diver, and the bc, lacking a crotch strap still slides up the diver at the surface, but that is how the typical jacket gets used.

BP&W are different. The tank is securely mounted to a wide plate. That takes the "roll" or "flop" out of the cylinder to diver interface. And they have a crotch strap, when properly adjusted the crotch strap insures both the diver and rig rise out of the water when gas is added to the wing.

What does all this mean in terms of harness adjustment? Simple, it means a simple "hogarthian" stye harness need not be worn bug eyed tight. Hogarthian harnesses aren't worn sloppy loose, but they do not need to be anywhere as snug as a typical Jacket BC.

Before you decide that you need to cut / sew / modify your new harness make sure you have it properly adjusted, and practice donning and doffing just the plate in front of a mirror.

Remember there are countless 1000's of BP&Ws being used worldwide with no gimmicks added to the harness.

Tobin

If you ever had shoulder issues or an arthritic shoulder socket, you would not need to ask this question. You are probably too young to have such problems, and hope you never do as you get older.

As an alternative you can use 8-32 bolts and lock nuts instead of stitching.
View attachment 220888

I have been doing the same thing for decades but I use pop-rivets instead. I also do not cut or punch a hole in the webbing as seen above. I use an awl or a marlin spike from a rigging knife to open a hole for the rivet to go through and the webbing will close in around the rivet without weakening the webbing in any way. Sewing will look better but it will only be as good as the thread used and in the type of water I used to dive in that would not last long. When I do sew my suits I use threads from poly pro line as this will last longer then anything else.

IMG_2805.jpgIMG_2804.jpgIMG_2803.jpg

You want the smoother flatter side of the screw or rivet facing in, against your body so you are not causing wear on your suit.

If you ever had shoulder issues or an arthritic shoulder socket, you would not need to ask this question. You are probably too young to have such problems, and hope you never do as you get older.

Actually, both of my shoulders have been surgically repaired (SLAP tear repair with tendons re-anchored...) so I am dealing with a fairly modest amount of loss of motion..... valve drills and shut downs are "fun"....

That is why I have implemented cinch type harnesses, and still never used the QR buckles that were on the transplate.....

At 48 years old, and a former collegiate athlete, I'm a complete mess....

Actually, both of my shoulders have been surgically repaired (SLAP tear repair with tendons re-anchored...) so I am dealing with a fairly modest amount of loss of motion..... valve drills and shut downs are "fun"....

That is why I have implemented cinch type harnesses, and still never used the QR buckles that were on the transplate.....

At 48 years old, and a former collegiate athlete, I'm a complete mess....

It is ironic that our athletic coaches, instuctors and senseis never told us that our athleticism in our youth through middle age was going to cost us multiple joint replacements and repairs in later life. Not that I would have changed anything I did in earlier years, but I can tell you that joint problems are only going to get worse. When you are 70, you will say to yourself, "Well, it's time to replace another (fill in the blank) joint." Luckily we live in a time where modern medicine can replace many of our worn out joints and organs, allowing us to continue diving and other things we love to do.

I don't know how many or most people get out of their BP/W, but I found that if they stretch their arms back and try to get it to slide off like a heavy overcoat then yes there can be problems with people who have joint issues.
The easiest way, and the way that doesn't make any difference if a person has shoulder issues or not is to simply put your arm back bent tight at the elbow (like a chicken wing) and slide your hand under one of the straps then push your arm forward and you're out. I sometimes reach over with my other hand and pull the strap away from my chest a little to help facilitate this because I have a compass on my wrist, but the whole procedure takes less than 3 seconds. With a BP/W hog harness there's one thing you undo, the waist strap.
With a jacket you'd be reaching over fiddling with a shoulder clip or two, undoing another clip on your waist, undoing a cumberbun, and fiddling with a chest strap clip, that's at least four things that need to be done in order to get out.

I design, manufacture and "fit" back plates and wings for my customers.

I've done it 1000's of times.

A huge percentage of my customers are either newer divers, or brand new to a back plate and wing.

They all have had some experience with Jacket / vest BC's

It is *very* common for divers with experience with conventional BC's to assume they will need some sort of quick release to be able to don and doff a BP&W.

This springs from the way the typical jacket / vest BC is used. They are typically worn with the harness very snug, usually in an effort to keep the tank from flopping around, and or to keep the bc from crawling up on the diver at the surface.

The usual drill is to adjust the harness to max, but on the jacket BC and pull hard to tighten the shoulder straps. The tank still flops, given that there is nothing but fabric between the tank and the diver, and the bc, lacking a crotch strap still slides up the diver at the surface, but that is how the typical jacket gets used.

BP&W are different. The tank is securely mounted to a wide plate. That takes the "roll" or "flop" out of the cylinder to diver interface. And they have a crotch strap, when properly adjusted the crotch strap insures both the diver and rig rise out of the water when gas is added to the wing.

What does all this mean in terms of harness adjustment? Simple, it means a simple "hogarthian" stye harness need not be worn bug eyed tight. Hogarthian harnesses aren't worn sloppy loose, but they do not need to be anywhere as snug as a typical Jacket BC.

Before you decide that you need to cut / sew / modify your new harness make sure you have it properly adjusted, and practice donning and doffing just the plate in front of a mirror.

Remember there are countless 1000's of BP&Ws being used worldwide with no gimmicks added to the harness.

Tobin

I would also suggest getting someone who is experienced in setting up BP&W to assist in adjusting it for size and D-ring position (and show don/doff). It is pretty easy to do if shown the right way to do it but it is possible to make a mess of it. I certainly was quite surprised how relatively loose the shoulder straps were compared to a jacket (where they are cinched tight once it is on) but it certainly feels as secure once everything is in place. If left to my own devices I would probably have made the straps a lot tighter than needed.

From my limited experience a lot of the ones with the "comfort harness" end up going to basic hogarthian once they realise the padding/QR etc are not really needed (apart from some who have specific needs for certain items such as those with shoulder issues etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom