DIY HID-upgrade of an old canister light for video and still

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
Interesting, 3500K & 2000+LM. If I am right, Power uptake = 13.x V* 3.15 A = 40+W (digged out from the datasheet) - still not quite 100LM/W as advertised. But at least near the efficiency of the HID-s.

One needs 1-2 of these + a high temp (6500k?) Cree XM-L and clear to go. I need to do some research on the
availability of drivers+DIY feasibility... The HID-version, using the flashlight-ballast seems easier to produce.

Interesting, 3500K & 2000+LM. If I am right, Power uptake = 13.x V* 3.15 A = 40+W (digged out from the datasheet) - still not quite 100LM/W as advertised. But at least near the efficiency of the HID-s.

actualy they drive at 14V@6.3A =88,2W and produce over 6000lm . poin of that led is high CRI means warm tones on video (page 2 and page 9 graph )

actualy they drive at 14V@6.3A =88,2W and produce over 6000lm. poin of that led is high CRI means warm tones on video (page 2 and page 9 graph )

The CRI is an interesting point, I don't know, how the chinese HID-kits deliver (+what is the real need when shooting video? Is 70-80 fine?)

what is the real need when shooting video? Is 70-80 fine?)

I'm not some video expert , but I'll say depends in what enviroment you shooting ... tropical more colourfull life IMO needs warmer tones if you look datasheet on page 9 low , the ideal should be 3000°K because

If you shoot an arctic there are more blue tones ....

CRI is something adaptive also on capturing distance ( I have just read some alogarithm on theme CRI for GoPro Hero 3 )

Adaptive illumination for color-corrected underwater imaging - Patent #08106944

Color temperature and CRI are different stories. Color rendering is about
the "fullness" of the spectrum (=the light doesn't only emit at a few
sharp bands, but gives a continous emission, such as the incandescent
light sources).

To be on the safe side, I'd stay above CRI 85. Unfortunately most LED and HID
sources don't publish cri values:(

I'm not some video expert , but I'll say depends in what enviroment you shooting ... tropical more colourfull life IMO needs warmer tones if you look datasheet on page 9 low , the ideal should be 3000°K because

If you shoot an arctic there are more blue tones ....

CRI is something adaptive also on capturing distance ( I have just read some alogarithm on theme CRI for GoPro Hero 3 )

Adaptive illumination for color-corrected underwater imaging - Patent #08106944

Back
Top Bottom