DIY Green-Water Filter for the OEM GoPro Dive Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffadler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking for a green water filter. I made a DIY magenta filter and am going to dive with it tomorrow. I hope to knock down the green tint by a large margin.
Check out the dive video showing the problem. New GoPro Dive Housing Test - Lake Havasu City, AZ - YouTube

vlcsnap-2012-06-30-22h56m12s39.jpg
The Problem! - Green fresh water and the Hero2 horrible AWB. (The HeroHD does way better AWB in this water.)

vlcsnap-2012-06-30-22h52m57s158.jpg
The Solution - Kodak gel filter CC40M 75mmx75mm sheet, cut down to 35mm x 45mm to fit inside the O-ring seal. Filter sheet bought used online for <$5.

vlcsnap-2012-06-30-22h44m54s159.jpg
Second attempt - Made a rookie mistake and flooded the housing. Second attempt cut-out and applied. Diving tomorrow. FYI gel filter does NOT like water.

Anyone have any ideas on OEM or better DIY green water filters? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

---------- Post Merged at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:19 PM ----------

For point of reference, you may have noticed that their is a circle cut out of the filter gel in the original post. I cut to fit the same CC40M Kodak color compensating filter for a Mako flat lens on another housing with my HeroHD inside. A topside and underwater (30'~) reference shot are included. The new dive housing and Hero2 should give me some better images to work with. ( I did not flood this housing with water lol )

vlcsnap-2012-06-30-23h38m25s242.jpg
Top Side - Hero HD 1080p r5, still image from video.

vlcsnap-2012-06-30-23h38m03s58.jpg
30' Down ~ hero HD 1080p r5, still image from video (same video segment)

Last edited:
I bought one FLD filter for my DIY.
Here are 2 screen shots from one dive:
With FLD filter.jpgWithout filter.jpg

UPDATE:

I got my hands on a Green Water filter from PolarProFilters.com and was able to do a side-by-side comparison video of the effectiveness of this filter. It installs inside the glass and is similar to my DIY magenta filter solution I came up with originally. The only difference is the CC50M is darker and has square corners. The PolarProFilters.com filter has rounded corners and is lighter in transparent magenta color. I really like the PolarProFilter and how much it helped improve my image quality.

See the video below:
[video=youtube_share;lfqaCNz20Q8]http://youtu.be/lfqaCNz20Q8[/video]

---------- Post Merged at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:19 PM ----------

shenzhen - How did you secure it to your GoPro camera housing? Is that the oem dive housing or an after-market flat lens fix? Nice color correction from that filter!

This is not a Gopro, just a car recorder with underwater housing. Flat port glued.
P4280136.jpgsku_47545_11.jpgP5080006.jpg

PolarProFilters.com has started selling their in housing green water filter for the GoPro Dive Housing. The filter helps out a TON with my freshwater video captures. It fixes the super green tint that I was capturing.

Back
Top Bottom