DIY Goodman handle for an light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the best way of testing it is by sending it to me, to test in in green murky lakes.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd share my experience as well.

I have the same goodman handle and It has been working well for me. The aluminum has mad eit easier to make modifications which was necesary for me to mount my Sofirn SD01 which has a rotary switch.
PXL_20211106_042806518.jpg PXL_20211106_042823080.jpg
After taking this on 50+ dives in saltwater, I can definitely say that there is no sign of corrosion on the steel parts on this. The aluminum side bolts scare me a little as far as longevity go, but at that point I'll do as you mention and replace with decent bolts.

I have the same concern as you regarding the tiny side bolts. I think the size of the head is too small and I worry that that threads tapped in the aluminum will strip eventally.
My plan is to add a nut and knurled thumb screw. I'll probably drill out the threads on the flat piece and add a nut into the opening.

Very interesting thread,

I don't like hard Goodman handles
Don't stay on the hand well for me,

I just cut a chunk of abs pipe, slit it, warm it in an oven, flatten it with a heavy piece of steel, cut out what I needs,
Rewarm it, it will slightly curve nice, cool,
Drill holes, install bungee,
I can if I want, move one bungee over my thumb if I want less tension etc.
Dive light in right hand for me,

20211122_164601.jpg
20211122_164621.jpg

Very interesting thread,

I don't like hard Goodman handles
Don't stay on the hand well for me,

I just cut a chunk of abs pipe, slit it, warm it in an oven, flatten it with a heavy piece of steel, cut out what I needs,
Rewarm it, it will slightly curve nice, cool,
Drill holes, install bungee,
I can if I want, move one bungee over my thumb if I want less tension etc.
Dive light in right hand for me,

View attachment 692258View attachment 692256
I like this idea. How is the torch attached to the handle please? What is the rivet for?

Its actually an Allen screw, from the Goodman mount, I moved the handle back more and use only 1 screw.
Some abs pipe which is glued to the plate goes around the back of the battery compartment to help support it,

20211123_090422.jpg
20211123_090352.jpg

20211123_090335.jpg

just finished up putting together a batch of Goodman handles for a user here.....these hold 3 of the orcatorch D520....i really love the 3 light design.....plus it makes you instantly identifiable underwater, haha

IMG_20211028_132204_4.jpg
IMG_20211028_132215_3.jpg

IMG_20211028_143126_9.jpg

not very good

- metal to metal design ( made it out of POM= delrin )
- with screws you will hurt anodised surface of lamps
- I see some brass on top of the screws ( galvanic series ) you can get these also with plastics

i like goodman's with some flat surface to avoid wobbling of lamps ( even particularly this design doesn't need it )

not very good

- metal to metal design ( made it out of POM= delrin )
- with screws you will hurt anodised surface of lamps
- I see some brass on top of the screws ( galvanic series ) you can get these also with plastics

i like goodman's with some flat surface to avoid wobbling of lamps ( even particularly this design doesn't need it )

1) metal to metal design is an issue why?
2) the screws do not hurt the anodizing....because of the brass....the anodizing is harder than the brass is.
3) oh no, not the dreaded "galvanic corrosion"...which is the single greatest overemphasized concern which is almost always a big nothing-burger.

ive been diving these for 3-4 years...with literally 0 issues....

Delrin also doesnt hold a thread as well as 6061....so threaded inserts would be required, which would increase the size of the light.

Reactions: Zef

Back
Top Bottom