DIY Drysuit Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hay can any of you guys show me some DIY pockets you sew up? would like some big pockets for my drysuit, but 90$ for 1 Halcyon Exploration pockets..... not happening. for that much ill make 10 pockets 3 times the size...

im particularly interested in velcro design. i know i can make a zipper one that looks really nice / works good. but the zipper is a failure point. i notice from my friends pockets plus a one that i own that the velcro flat pockets closes very easy on it self when your hand is not in it and does not let stuff fall out. most also don't look flimsy. im kinda hesitant to make a velcro pocket because i feel that the flap will be flimsy and not close right. any advise on that?

thanks

I have em for under 30.00. But I am going to caution on Velcro pockets for dry suit. I have the XS ones on all my wetsuits but when I ordered my new dry suit I took the zipper option. Based on experience with a previous drysuit that had Velcro ones. The Velcro worked well. For about a year and 50 or so dives. Then it started to pick up junk, wrinkle, and hard to use with heavy cold water gloves. Easy enough to manipulate still with bare hands and thin gloves, but the new suit with the zippers on the pockets I much prefer. Once I got used to the tabs and added a couple custom pulls I made out of Delrin on the waterjet with the recommendation of a customer, I will likely never go back to Velcro on drysuit pockets. A good zipper is no more a failure point IMO than a Velcro closure. You do need to be a little more precise and purposeful at first but then you get used to that. Plus most of the stuff in your pockets that you don't want to lose should be clipped off to a bungee cord in them anyway.

Are there any made with buckles? I'll search for them, but could be a reasonable compromise between velcro and zippers.

One option if velcro wear is an issue, maybe the DC Thigh Pocket XT, Velcro Closure (Add-On Thigh Pockets - Dive Gear Express) is a viable option.

Last edited:
I have over 300 dives on my DUI with velcro pockets and don't have a problem with mine. I am in slit, grit and spring pool vegetation. I am in and out of them for deco tables, spools, arrows, etc. I haven't had a problem with mine.

I don't have numbers for my buddies, but most of them have velcro and I am never picking up behind them or hearing them complain.

ymmv

you guys are kinda misguiding the discussion.... i you are referring to store bought pockets. im talking about a diy pocket.... my pocket will only be as good if i have quality Velcro. Do you guys have any idea where i can get sheets of very good Velcro for a pocket.

To reduce flimsiness, you can sew a plastic sheet between a couple layers of codura. I'm thinking the kind you find in some 3-ring binders.

I'm curious about the potential for magnet closures. I'm not sure if this has been tried, or is at all practical.

To reduce flimsiness, you can sew a plastic sheet between a couple layers of codura. I'm thinking the kind you find in some 3-ring binders.

I'm curious about the potential for magnet closures. I'm not sure if this has been tried, or is at all practical.

the only down side i see to magnets is that if its to strong i can potentially damage a back up computer/ timer thats left in the pocket to long.

ermaclob, I buy all my velcro at Joann's fabric and similar stores. I buy at least 2 inch wide stuff. I've found on my homemade thigh pocket it hasn't suited well, though, so a different source (or more velcro) is in my future for any new projects. I put about a 2 inch by 3.5 inch patch of it on my thigh pocket and it has definitely had issues with not staying closed while diving. Or perhaps it's that I'm not getting it closed back up well enough after getting in the pocket???

Back
Top Bottom