DIY Drysuit Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Velcro doesn't jam shut at just the wrong moment. Don't forget to leave an inch or so of the end of the closing flap bare of velcro so you have a nice wide piece of pocket flap to grasp with a gloved hand. Makes opening the pocket much easier.

Secure a length of shock cord with loops into the pocket and then just clip your spool etc to the loops, then you can take everything out, unclip the item you need and re-stow the rest with no fear of losing anything.

My velcro is 2" x 6". The flap is the soft loop and 1" away from the edge. The pocket is the hard hook and is right at the edge of the pocket top.
The pocket is 6 x 10 x 2.5(bellows). There is a D-Ring in the middle against my leg at the top.
There are two grommets in the bottom for drain and one grommet in the middle of the bellows 2.5" down from the top.

I use the shock cord loop and it is knotted thru a grommet in the bellows.

The size of the pocket is fine, but if I could add a change it would be to have a divider (or inner pocket) for slipping in wet notes and or tables.

Are there any made with buckles? I'll search for them, but could be a reasonable compromise between velcro and zippers.

One option if velcro wear is an issue, maybe the DC Thigh Pocket XT, Velcro Closure (Add-On Thigh Pockets - Dive Gear Express) is a viable option.

I did wind up ordering one of these from Leisurepro. I'll give a report on them next weekend when I have a training class.

I have one of the older models with two.thigh.straps that buckle. It has held up very well. Nice thing is you can move it. But it needs to go on a waist strap like a bpw has. If your diving a regular jacket with a cumerbund you'll need to add a weight belt to use the top loop with. Drysuit it may be ok. But with a compressing wet suit and no top attachment it'll slide down your leg. Don't ask. Embarassing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

how about some 3m Dual-Lock instead of regular velcro? I have only ever seen it glued to hard surfaces, but since it has no 'loop' side, and it doesn't use 'hooks' either, I can't imagine it ever wearing out, or clogging. and it is super strong. just a thought.
Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener :3M US

Back
Top Bottom