DIY Dome Port Cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
hi guys, i dont know if this has been done recently but thought i would show and tell my afternoons efforts

hubby just received his Ike housing for his new nikkon and has asked me to make a cover that he can use in the water for added lens protection, especially in sydney we do shore diving with rocks and ledges and surge.

what he does is keep this on the camera until he is in the water, he then throws it into his pocket and goes diving. on exit, he replaces it over the lense and exits.

using pieces from an old wetsuit i saved, i used neoprene, lycra, elastic & sewing machine, this took me about an hour to make.

cut out a neoprene piece to cover the entire port
Neoprenecutout1.jpg

cut out lycra. my piece of lycra has 4 layers. On one side, i have sewn in a gutter space that will let me feed the elastic in and hold in place.
Lycralayout1.jpg

pin and sew to the neoprene
Lycralayout2.jpg

pic of lycra sewn to the neoprene
Lycrasewn1.jpg

insert elastic and pin & sew into place
Elastic1.jpg

incorrect side finished piece
Insideout1.jpg

and correct side finished piece
Finished2.jpg

finished item on camera
Finished3.jpg

happy hubby
Finished4.jpg

now off to make another one for his 8" dome port

cheers

Go one step further... add a small clip to it... that will allow hubby to connect it to the housing and not have to scramble to get it in a pocket... It will be clipped to the housing, and he can simply replace it over the lens on exit...

almitywife:
now off to make another one for his 8" dome port
kappenneu.jpg

You see that yellow neoprene yarmulke in the upper left corner with the Subal logo in the middle? Only $98.

yikes!!!

$98US would be aboot $115 aussie plus postage

i figured my not so pretty version cost labour (of love) only as the materials were scraps from other projects

edit: and why are those black straps suppose to do on the cover?? how does it attach and doesnt that risk unlocking the housing latches by accident?

My ports came with a cover, why did you need to make one?
Nice work by the way.

My ports came with a cover, why did you need to make one?.
hubbys came with that purty ikelite cover... that he doesnt wanna get wet :wink:

actually, he says he prefers slipping over the lycra/elastic bit as once it is on it doesnt come off.

the ike one that came with it, has a pull string with plastic thingy you have to tighten and then ensure its closed fully. otherwise it floats off and is lost (as one of his buddies found out)

or maybe he just likes me being in my sewing room :lotsalove:

I agree the Ike covers to float, found that out also. But I caught it.

Back
Top Bottom