DIY Deep Hookah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shanebelanger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Background: I've searched the boards and been researching relentlessly over the past few weeks, but it seems like I can't find any specific information. The specific information I'm looking for is exactly what compressor the R260XL the website has this to say about the compressor: Thomas/Air Line, LARGE, single-head, direct-drive, oil-free, Wobble piston. 12.5 CFM @ 0 PSI, 9.8 @ 50. Two at 85', three at 60, four at 40. Looking on the Thomas website I can't find ANY wobble piston that is above 7.1 CFM. I'm not exactly sure why that is. I did read in a post on here that Thomas discontinued the compressor that Airline is using, but still makes it specifically for that company. I suppose I could call and see if I can get the info and purchase one, but I think that is unlikely.

What I'm trying to accomplish: I'd like to be able to push two divers down to 85' which is exactly what the R260XL states it can accomplish. Why this deep? Well I doubt I'll ever go below 35' honestly, but I like buying things once and you never know where you're going to move to, or what's going to happen in life so why not future proof yourself?

I'm quite comfortable with everything except the compressor thanks to threads I have found online.

The older brownies were running the Gast PCA-10 compressor, but aren't any longer. I can't find why they switched. I have also read some bad reviews about the brownies and can't really seem to find anything bad about the R260XL so that specifically is the one I'm looking to copy. I need a high-pressure compressor to push the divers that deep, so something like the keene heavy duty compressor won't work.

In fully understand the dangers and complications with this build and I also understand that I must filter the air down to a medical / micron level. I appreciate any and all help in this endeavor and I will absolutely be posting everything online as a how-to / FAQ so hopefully if everything goes well we will have one thread about hookahs that everyone can refer to in regards to building / designing.

Why aren't you just buying the Airline Hooka? No issues with floats, hoses, swivels, filters, etc.

Why aren't you just buying the Airline Hooka? No issues with floats, hoses, swivels, filters, etc.
I'm assuming that I can build it for half the price, and it would be enjoyable to know that I "built it". I put that in quotes because it's less building it and more piecing it together. Still fun, though.

Well, I do understand the joy of building it. But everything I've done that way ends up comparable or more costly than the thing I'm basically copying, so I look at the additional cost of DIY as the cost of my fun, which I do not begrudge. I just no longer delude myself that I'm DIY'ing it to save money!

By doing a little deductive reasoning, I've discovered that the compressor in the Airline model you refer to is actually based on the Thomas Renegade TG-400HST. Unfortunately, it appears (as do many of the Thomas Airpac line of compressors) to be discontinued. I assume that John Sink either has an inventory of these or that Thomas continues to produce them for him under contract. But since rebuild kits are still available, you can look on craigslist or eBay for a used one.

... everything I've done that way ends up comparable or more costly than the thing I'm basically copying...

I have built (OK, "assembled") many hookahs and every single one has been many hundreds of dollars cheaper than a comparable, commercially-available one.

Imagine what the insurance cost is per unit to sell an underwater breathing device that will be used by untrained people!

Imagine what the insurance cost is per unit to sell an underwater breathing device that will be used by untrained people!

No higher than for the manufacturer of any piece of SCUBA gear. Any uncertified joe can walk into a dive shop anywhere in the country and buy a tank and regs.

Somewhat hard for them to get fills, but I'm sure the insurance is a major part of scuba gear too. A little different then mixing an internal combustion engine with a breathing air pump so people can breathe underwater. Building your own will at least save the insurance cost.

I also understand that I must filter the air down to a medical / micron level.

That is simply not the case. In any commercially-available, recreationl or light industrial-level hookah, air filtration is nothing more than than stock intake filter that the compressor is built with (mounted on a snorkle, in the case of gas-powered hookahs), and a simple inline particle filter downstream from the compressor. This is typically just a disc of stainless steel screen placed inside a hose connector.

Twenty one years ago I bought my first hookah, a "Super Snorkle" from (the now defunct) Innovative Designs. The little filter "canister" that came with the Super Snorkle has been incorporated into every hookah that I have built since. I pack it with fish aquarium filter media:

All of the components of any hookah that you or I can buy are fairly easily sourced. There is nothing special or proprietary about any of it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom