DIY Deep Hookah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@fstbttms after doing some research I think you're absolutely correct that the Thomas Renegade TG-400HST is the compressor used by airline. After doing some digging around for them they seem to be awfully scarce. Even the angel of used items (ebay) doesn't have one of them on there. Very surprising. I'm going to call Thomas and talk to them about this. Hopefully they'll be able to help me out.

Is anyone familiar with what CFM you need at what psi? The renegade 400 that @fstbttms references is pushing 12.4 cfm air displacement and 5.4cfm at 100psi. This model is no longer being manufactured by Thomas. The most comparable compressor they are still manufacturing is the 200 which is 8cfm with 4.6cfm at 100 psi. From the research I've been doing I have read that you need approximately 1cfm per diver. By that logic the 200 should push a diver just as deep as the 400 as long as you don't have more than 4 divers attached to the unit. I'm sure I'm not adding something into the equation. I'm thinking that the displacement doesn't matter, but the cfm at 100 psi does. Can someone please explain this to me?

You need the same CFM at max depth as you do at the surface so the surface CFM doubles at 33' and is 4 times at 99'. To maintain your breathing rate at 100' takes 4 times what it would take at the surface. 100' is about 43 psi plus whatever your reg needs to work, you will get an argument over that but I say they work fine at 50psi. Close enough to make the cfm at 100psi the number you want. Problem is you need some extra because of pressure losses under flow in the hose. I built mine in the late 70's and used it to 50 feet with about 50psi pressure at the compressor. It will teach you good breathing patterns but if you don't like not being able to take a fast breath you may panic.

@BRT So to push two divers to 100' I'd need 4CFM at 100' seeing as it only takes 50psi to work a reg. Is this correct? I took 1cfm per diver x 4 to compensate for the pressure then divided by 2 due to only needing half at 50 psi vs 100 psi. Anyone have an actual math equation for this that I can use?

Saltwater produces about .43 psi per foot. You need to check your regs to make sure they work well at 50 psi. Remember that under stress and workload you may need much more than 1cfm. When I built a hookah I was young and foolish and didn't panic when the air came slowly. You probably need multiples for a safety factor, and 100' is a long way down there for no backup.

I'm not having any luck finding either a: Thomas renegade 550 air compressor or the 400 model. Anyone have any advice on where to find these? Preferably used.

I did find a place that has the 400co (compressor only) in stock but they want $750 for it. I think that's a bit steep for the compressor only.

Back
Top Bottom