DIY canister light update(pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toolboy:
I built my own light in a similar fashion. Difference is I made my battery case out of PVC that I glues together.......I run a 50W haolgen MR16 for 2 hrs on my larger pack........man is it bright.

On another note I did not make a handle for the light head. I took two large premade sports elastic wrist support and sewed them together in a way that one goes over my hand onto my forearm and the light slides into the other.
This alows me to have hands free use of my light while looking around.
I have also fashioned a device to quickly attach the light to my head...even better hands free use.

What kind of battery are you using and what size? I only get about 1.5 hrs on mine with a 35W MR16.

Packhorse:
http://www.caralarms.co.nz/Dive light.htm

Here is my light. Tested to 21 meters so far.

Whats your guys choice of bulb? And how do you guys charge NiMH?

Thanks for the link. I used a Solux Bulb because of their quality and size. You do not have to machine the light head for the Solux to fit which is handy if you don't have the tools to do so.

dsater:
What kind of battery are you using and what size? I only get about 1.5 hrs on mine with a 35W MR16.

7amp/hr 12volt lead acid x 2
a little bulky and weighs about 10lb.....built a chest mounting harness and it does a great job on keeping me balanced in the water, quick release system also.

I agree it is a little heavy and crude...but it is nice and bright

Toolboy:
7amp/hr 12volt lead acid x 2
a little bulky and weighs about 10lb.....built a chest mounting harness and it does a great job on keeping me balanced in the water, quick release system also.

I agree it is a little heavy and crude...but it is nice and bright

WHOA! Pretty heavy duty. Do you have any photos?

Back
Top Bottom