DIY canister light update(pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent! The no leak thing, not the blinding thing:wink:

Dave

The canister is a 2 1/2" PVC pipe. There is a plug glued into the bottom. The plug was machined similar to the lid and then glued in with PVC glue.
570535_111_full.jpg

Dave

I didn't see any plugs for the 2 1/2" pipe in my shopping around. Maybe they are available. I wanted the finished canister to be as small and clean as possible so I went with the machined plug. Only takes about 5 minutes to turn one. I used 1/2" thick pvc, 1/4" of which is inside the canister after turning it.

Dave

I'm using 12 x Nimh c cells at 1.2 volts each for a 14.4 volt pack.
I picked up the pvc sheet at a shop that makes plastic signs here as well as supply plastics. They were in the yellow pages under plastic. I got the pvc sheet for the lid,
1" thick, from the same place.

Dave

Pathfinder:
The canister is a 2 1/2" PVC pipe. There is a plug glued into the bottom. The plug was machined similar to the lid and then glued in with PVC glue.
570535_111_full.jpg

Dave

Can you post a parts list and also tell us how long your light will stay on with the current batteries?
Thanks

I built my own light in a similar fashion. Difference is I made my battery case out of PVC that I glues together.......I run a 50W haolgen MR16 for 2 hrs on my larger pack........man is it bright.

On another note I did not make a handle for the light head. I took two large premade sports elastic wrist support and sewed them together in a way that one goes over my hand onto my forearm and the light slides into the other.
This alows me to have hands free use of my light while looking around.
I have also fashioned a device to quickly attach the light to my head...even better hands free use.

Back
Top Bottom