DIY canister light update(pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pathfinder

Contributor
Reaction score
There was a few days of inactivity but I was able to get the light pretty much completed between last night and this afternoon.
570535_120_full.jpg

570535_121_full.jpg

The battery pack was assembled and with the final measurement I was able to remove about 1 1/2 inches from the length of the canister, It is now 8" long or 8 3/4" from bottom of base to top of lid. It's very compact.
I have a 50 watt bulb in it now, because that's what I had laying around, and man is it bright! I looked into the beam and saw spots for 5 minutes. Note to self...do not flash in eyes :wink: I measured the voltage and it's just under 15 volts.
Tomorrow I'll start working on the Goodman handle. I'll probably be making one pretty close to "traditional" out of aluminum.

Dave

Looks pretty sweet. I just got my battery pack and my light works great. Gonna test 'er out this weekend.

I should be getting mine in the water tomorrow night. I plan on throwing it into the deep end of my pool for a couple hours. It's only ten feet deep but it's the first step. This weekend I hope to get it down to 50 feet. All of this without the battery pack installed of course:wink:

Dave

Can't tell the scale from those pics... what size Mag light is that?

It's a 'C' cell. I used a 4 cell mag lite because I had an old one sitting around doing nothing.

Dave

Pathfinder:
I should be getting mine in the water tomorrow night. I plan on throwing it into the deep end of my pool for a couple hours. It's only ten feet deep but it's the first step. This weekend I hope to get it down to 50 feet. All of this without the battery pack installed of course:wink:

Dave

How'd your pool test go?

Hey, the pool test was a 100% success. I left it in the pool for 2 hours and there was not a drop of water anywhere. Hopefully I'll get it into the water this weekend and take it to at least 50'.
I still haven't gotten on to the Goodman handle. Hopefully I'll get to do some work on it today.

Dave

So how much money invested so far?

Including the batteries, which were $70 cdn, I have $110 Cdn into it. I still need to purchase a battery charger at about $30. This price does not include the cost of a maglite which I already had. So, add another $15. This light can be made with batteries for $150 Cdn, perhaps a bit less if you shopped around. If you had to pay for machining on the lighthead/canister it would probably run you another $50.

Dave

Just got done with my dive and my first test run with my light. Worked great! About blinded my diving partner but other than that, no problems at 40 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom